Independent voice playback with BBCSO?

I can’t seem to get independent voice playback to work correctly when using the BBCSO Core playback template and library. I have a divisi Violin section where the top staff is arco and bottom pizz. Placing the measures in question in another voice and assigning a new VST instrument works fine with Halion, NotePerformer, and VSL SE, but I can’t seem to get this working with BBCSO Core. As soon as the pizz indication comes in the lower staff, the top staff changes from arco to pizz too even though it is in another voice and assigned to another instance of Violin I. As this works fine with other libraries, is there another step required to get arco and pizz working simultaneously in BBCSO?

Wow. If there is no work-around for this, it would be important to know.
Would you have the same situation between first and second violins, or are they set up differently than divisi firsts?

Apologies for asking the stupid question, but are you certain you’ve definitely set the two voices to two separate instances of the player?

Yes, but they are two separate instances using the same sound, “Strings: Violins I.” No issues with other libraries I have, just BBCSO. Just wondering if it can’t handle multiple instances of the same sound, or if there’s another configuration step I need to do with them, or something else. Can anyone else get both pizz and arco using independent voice playback on a violin divisi with BBCSO using Strings: Violins I?

Just tested it, and it works as expected… did you assign the same expression map to both endpoints…?

BBCSO requires a lot of plugin duplication for situations like this, only a few of the patches support multiple simultaneous tones (maybe only the ‘a3,a4,…’ patches). Other libraries like EWHO pretty much support playing multiples across the board? Anyhow with the long tail reverb profile in BBCSO it probably makes sense to do it this way.

Ah, that was it, thanks! Working now.

Hi Fred,
Having the same issue here. Can you assist a newbie? I’m trying to set up a two stave violin 1 divisi for BBCSO. Not sure how to do it. I opened the endpoint setup for violin 1. Are the two instance of violin 1 that I need all set up with the Endpoint setup? Or do I do that within the inspector? Any tips appreciated!

Heh, I can’t remember what job / client the original post was even for LOL. Now I would just have 2 separate instances of the Violin I sound, turn on IRV and route each one to their own sound (probably using VEPro for me). I think the catch with them sharing a BBCSO instance is that a pizz or arco indication in one will switch the sample to that technique for both. Using IRV and giving them each their own playback instance of BBCSO should give them complete independence.

Hi Fred,
Thanks so, so much for the speedy reply. Much appreciated. Still trying to wrap my newbie brain around it. Should it look like this?

I’m still getting the same sound on both, no matter which staff I select, so they’re both still playing the same instance of BBCSO. Do I create a divisi for violin 1? I’m assuming I would have two staves on the write page.

Thanks for your patience!

I set up a violin section and then created a divisi, turned on IRV and finish up with the same as your screenshot with two separate instances of the BBC player both channel 1. It works fine. I can only suggest checking both endpoints again. You need two endpoints, each looking something like this

If that’s correct, it should work, just as @FredGUnn says!

Yep, right click the staff and select Staff/Change Divisi. Here’s a quick sample file with BBCSO Core. Since Violins Ia and Ib are playing separate instances of the Violins I sound, Ia can go to pizz while Ib stays arco.
divtest.dorico (544.9 KB)

Hi Fred,
This is the best answer to my question ever!!! Thanks so, so much.

Have a great day!

Mark

1 Like

I assumed initially that you knew how to create a divisi in the score but later reread the thread and realised perhaps that was not the case-- by this time @FredGUnn had jumped in anyway :smile: