Initial clef question

Hi community,

i have a piano, left hand starts playing in treble clef.
I want a normal full size bass clef at the beginning followed by a clef change to treble (cue size) right after the meter before first note.

Is this possible?

What happens is that if i apply the clef change on the first note of bar1, the initial clef changes; if i do it on the second note in the first bar everything would be looking fine, except that i need it before the first note :wink:

No, at the moment Dorico doesn’t support this convention; it’s a bit old-fashioned these days, but of course many existing editions use this approach.

Just dropping in on this old thread – for piano duets the lower part most usually has both staves in the bass clef. Is it yet possible to do that or do I have to insert a bass clef for the first note of the secondo right-hand part, with the treble clef remaining at the start?

It sounds as though you’re trying to do the opposite of the original poster - to display a bass clef on the top secondo stave throughout. Manually insert a bass clef at the start of bar one and Dorico will automatically put it in the correct place (full size, replacing the existing treble clef).

Hi Leo – thanks. Yes, but the principal felt to be the same. I was trying to select the first clef or add a bass clef to the first note. Using the caret sorts it – thanks.
Hope all’s well.

Just to say I’ve wanted/needed to use this clef convention a couple of times recently, and it would be great if it could be accommodated.

Screenshot

1 Like

Ben, what convention is that? Beaming the notes from the two clefs together?

Showing the normal clef at the start and a clef change after the key and meter, before the first beat.

The first time I needed this (and couldn’t do it) was with Sibelius around 2003.

1 Like

Hi @benwiggy , I managed to obtain what you want as following (it is a workaround):

For example:
-create empty piano piece in 4/4
-double-Click on the time signature. In the pop-up after the 4/4 write ,4.5 so that at the end you have in the pop-up 4/4,4.5 (This adds an eight note value to the first bar that is now four quarter and one eight long.) Press enter.
-Start note entry (double click) and move the caret to the second eight note position.
-Now you can insert the G clef and start writing the music for the left hand. -You need afterwards to remove the eight note rest at the beginning (select and edit, remove rests).
-You might also need to correct the beamings, use some force duration, and adjust the position of the notes a little to the left.
I hope is clear what I wrote.

1 Like

Thanks – it’s clever, but not always practical in all circumstances.

1 Like

I agree it could be useful to have a new option in the Clef submenu of the context menu to display both the “normal” clef at the beginning of the flow and the small clef right after. It would save some time and avoid such a workaround.

This practice is still very much useful and needed. I would love to see it included.