Input of 64th notes

I am currently despairing of entering 64th notes together with 32nd notes, double dotted eighth notes etc.
The bar in the attached screenshot has cost me more than 1/2 hour of my life.
Please, please extend the rhythmic grid to 64th notes and/or disable the snap-to-grid function in the key editor! (Or is that already possible?)
Thank you!
Manfred
Screenshot

You don’t need the grid to be any smaller: you can just use the note durations. I did this in less than a minute.

(I’ll have to go back and do the tie.)

2 Likes

Maybe I’m too unpracticed. I would like to change the correct lengths in the key editor if I have made a mistake. Unfortunately, this no longer works as soon as 64th notes are involved.

There is no need to use the key editor, just re-notate the score as @benwiggy suggests.

It is simply impractical. For example, I can’t use Alt-Shift-Left or Alt-Shift-Right to shorten or lengthen a note by a 64th. Nor can I shift a note one 64th to the left or right with Ctrl-Alt. If, for example, a 64ths rest has crept in somewhere in the bar due to a triplet break, there is no way to move the notes after the rest one 64th to the left to eliminate the rest. Sometimes the only option is to simply rewrite the remaining notes. This is annoying - all because, for whatever reason, the rhythmic grid stops at 32nd notes.

1 Like

Simply select a note on the score and change its duration to what you want. It is not necessary to use shift-alt to lengthen or shorten (although I do use that a lot). Also you might find it useful to use tools like insert mode and/or Edit duration>Extend to next note.

1 Like

I never use the Key Editor for adjusting notation. I know you can, but I think ‘standard’ Write mode / Note Entry has everything you need.

I use insert mode more often but not “Extend to next note” so far. Thanks for the hint!

It really helps here to internalize how Dorico fundamentally treats durations more semantically rather than them being almost arbitrary symbols. Lately I’ve been doing more note entry with fewer note values, and then doing more transformations after the fact. Dorico makes this painless (mostly) by rewriting the rhythms to proper notation after the fact vs other programs where it’s much more work to toggle between say, a half and two tied quarters.