Input/Output Channels Folder

I’ve always wondered what the Input/Output Channels folder is for.

For me, it just contains a ‘Stereo Out’ and nothing else ever appears in it.

Could it be used to hold ‘Track’ VSTi Output channels so that their automation data can be edited?

Hi,

This is useful especially for the outputs. Here you can get your Output Channels automation curves.

In the past, this folder wasn’tt present here, because it wasn'tt necessary. But since Cubase 10 (or 9.5), there are new Track presets for the Output Channel (like “pseudo-master” track presets). To be able to apply them on the output channel, the channel (or in this case the lined track) has to be present in the Project window. Therefore this Output Channels becomes visible by default (and the folder with it).

In the past, the only way to show these tracks in the Project window was to enable Automation Write. Then the tracks became visible in the project window. What is not really user friendly, if you want to apply any “pseudo-master” track presets.

Martin, I’m not sure you are correct about how long the ‘Input/Output Channels’ folder has been around.

I’ve looked back to N7 and it was always present there, and I’m pretty sure it goes way back before that. I’ve always wondered what it was for, and after reading your post I’m still not sure.

Nothing ever gets put in the folder automatically here.

Am I expecting it to do something that it does not do?

Do I have to put things in there manually?

Why would I want to put things there?

Is there any benefit to putting things there rather than simply leaving them in the list of all the other tracks in the project window?

At least back to SX 3. But what Martin probably wanted to say is that is was not by default visible when creating a new project

It contains all input and output bus channels. If you only have one bus defined in VST connections, you will only have one Channel in there

No, it is simply for fast acces to all input and output channels in the project window. Imagine someone with a 32 in- and 32 output setup.

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Very nice clarification (what I wasn’t able to formulate so nice and clear), thank you.