Inputting Independent Key Signatures in each instrument

Hi,
I want to compose a piece that’s polytonal with each instrument having a different key signature. How do I input independent key signatures in Dorico Pro?

To input a key signature for one staff only - click on the staff at the place where you want the key-signature to appear, press shift-K to bring up the key signature popover, enter the key signature, then press alt-Enter. If you press Enter without holding down the alt key, the key signature will be applied to all staves. Alt-Enter confines it to only the staff you clicked on.

1 Like

Exactly as Steven says, just make sure that the thing you select before opening the key signatures popover is something that only belongs to one staff – if you select e.g. a barline that spans multiple staves, it won’t be possible to input a staff-specific key signature because Dorico won’t know which staff it should go on.

Selecting a note, rest, dynamic etc should all work as they are staff-attached.

1 Like

Is there a way to assing microtonal key signature via popover?
Or in general how can I assign microtonal “key” to only one instrument?

1. I think custom key sigs must be assigned from the panel, because there is no mechanism for encoding them for the popover.
  2. As with meters, you can Alt-click a key sig in the panel to assign it to one staff.
1 Like