Inputting rests

Allow me to share once again my favourite tip for effective searching of the documentation. This procedure assumes you’re using Mozilla Firefox as your browser:

1. Go to a page in the most up-to-date online documentation that includes a search box, e.g. here.
  2. Right-click in the search box on the page, i.e. this one:

1. In the context menu that appears, choose e.g. Add a Keyword for this Search, which brings up the Add Bookmark dialog and invites you to specify a Keyword. I use dh as the keyword for “Dorico Help”. Type whatever keyword you like, and click OK.

Now when you want to search for something in the latest Dorico help, simply type Ctrl+L (Windows) or Command+L (macOS) to put the focus in the address bar, and type dh inputting tuplets (or whatever your search term is), and you’ll be taken directly to the search results.

If you’re using another browser, e.g. Google Chrome, then you need to use a different procedure to set up a custom search engine in the browser’s settings. You can follow e.g. this recipe to do it. You’ll need to know the search URL to use, and you can use this:

https://steinberg.help/dorico_pro/v4/en/search.html?searchQuery=

I can’t overstate how much time this saves. Give it a try!

2 Likes