Inputting rests

To input rests manually, Help says:

• Press , (comma)

• Select duration

• Press Y (or any letters from A to G)

When I do this, the carat moves to the right, indicating that something has been input where the carat was, but no rest or note is displayed. What am I doing incorrectly?

(Of course, as soon as I enter a subsequent note, the appropriate rests automatically appear.)

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

1 Like

If you really want to input rests you also need to hit O to turn Force Duration on. 99% of the time you shouldn’t need to input rests at all, though.

Thanks, pianoleo! Yes, I realize that there’s usually no need to input rests manually – I just wanted to check out the technique.

The Help file (Inputting rests) says that [“O”] is optional. Has that changed?

It’s not that it’s changed; rather that the latest version of the manual is clearer than the 2.2.20 version. See Inputting rests and do keep an eye on the version number in the top left corner when reading the manual.

Aha! Thanks, pianoleo – I’m so used to just googling “Dorico [issue]”!
Related: I downloaded and have been using the Dorico 3.1.10 Operation Manual – is there a more current version?

Thanks again!

I just linked to it :wink:

I just linked to it

If you mean via the “Inputting rests” page, I clicked on its “Steinberg Help” logo and then opened the Dorico Pro 3 Operation Manual, but it appears that that is still the 3.1.10 version. Is there a way to download the complete PDF from the 3.5.12 “input rests” link?

See Dorico Pro 3.5 Documentation

Thanks!

Allow me to share once again my favourite tip for effective searching of the documentation. This procedure assumes you’re using Mozilla Firefox as your browser:

1. Go to a page in the most up-to-date online documentation that includes a search box, e.g. here.
  2. Right-click in the search box on the page, i.e. this one:

1. In the context menu that appears, choose e.g. Add a Keyword for this Search, which brings up the Add Bookmark dialog and invites you to specify a Keyword. I use dh as the keyword for “Dorico Help”. Type whatever keyword you like, and click OK.

Now when you want to search for something in the latest Dorico help, simply type Ctrl+L (Windows) or Command+L (macOS) to put the focus in the address bar, and type dh inputting tuplets (or whatever your search term is), and you’ll be taken directly to the search results.

If you’re using another browser, e.g. Google Chrome, then you need to use a different procedure to set up a custom search engine in the browser’s settings. You can follow e.g. this recipe to do it. You’ll need to know the search URL to use, and you can use this:

https://steinberg.help/dorico_pro/v4/en/search.html?searchQuery=

I can’t overstate how much time this saves. Give it a try!

2 Likes

Many thanks, Daniel! Just did it, for Chrome.

I should add – I found a slight discrepancy in the (howtogeek.com) instructions: Using the steinberg URL you gave, there was no need for me to add howtogeek’s " %s " at the end:

Finally, paste the link you copied earlier. But here’s the important bit: you’ll need to change search query to %s in the URL. So, basically, remove the term you searched for from the string and replace it with %s .

I’m used to consulting the Index of a downloaded PDF of the Operation manual, but this does look faster!

Now, if you happen to have a brilliant technique that can help an old brain retain all this new information, let me know! :wink: :wink:

Thanks again, Daniel!

I’m using Safari and I can’t find out how to do the equivalent of procedure 3, as it doesn’t work the same way as in Firefox. The procedure for Chrome doesn’t work in Safari, either.

I have to admit that - tho’ I got it to work - I don’t really understand the mechanism. With that in mind, I’m wondering if the following webpages hold part of the answer for you, Vaughan_Schlepp?

(this last link seems to be for an open-source script that may do that for multiple webpages)

Sorry I can’t be of real help here. . .

Omnikey looked promising but unfortunately it’s no longer supported.

Here’s hoping someone else here may have an answer. . .

I should probably have put this into a new post, as it no longer has anything to do with inputting rests.

Good point.

In the meantime, perhaps this webpage has something relevant – altho’, it is Mac based . . .

Safari is by definition Mac based! I tried installing this handy-looking extension and, despite the admonition from Safari that the extension didn’t have permission to read, alter or send the contents of a webpage (and I couldn’t find a way to give it permission), I did ostensibly find a way to create ‘dh’ as a new search keyword and to couple it to the link provided above. Just for the hell of it I typed in ‘dh inputting rests’ and I got ‘Normal DH processing of input on second-order neurons’. I give up.

You must have thought of this, but - just in case:

if you’re using any kind of browser ‘speed dial’ app, you can simply create a (browser) desktop entry (or icon – I don’t know the proper names for these things) that contains the Dorico 3.5.12 help page url (Search Results - Dorico Help). Then, instead of typing “dh” or any other abbreviation in Safari’s address bar, simply click on that icon.

I tried the free Keyword Search extension and it works beautifully. Here’s how to set it up:

1. Run the Mac App Store app and search for “keyword search”. You’ll see this listing:

1. Click Get to download and install the extension. Once it’s downloaded, click Open.
  2. Click the + button in the sidebar to create a new entry, and fill it out something like this:

Notice that you have to add @@@ to the URL, which is how the search term will be substituted.
4. Now run Safari: you should see a banner below the toolbar that advises a new extension has been installed, and asking you whether you want to activate it. Click the button to activate the extension.
5. Failing that, go to Safari’s Preferences dialog, click the Extensions pane, and make sure Keyword Search is activated.

That’s it. Now you can type your chosen keyword into Safari’s address bar followed by your search term.

1 Like