Insert beat

How can I insert a beat? I’ve been searching the manual…

At the moment I’m adding a bar, deleting a bar line, changing time sigs, delete bar…

In Write mode, select the note where you want to insert a beat (or more) and type Return to get the caret. Now type “I” (for Insert). Notice the big Insert cursor that appears on the note (and is highlighted in the left-hand tool pane). Enter your new note (or notes). Type “I” to turn off Insert. Adjust your time-signatures (using Shift–M).

To be honest, we really need more information, Steve.
Do you want everything to shift along or just the one instrument? If just the one instrument, then does it have multiple voices? Are there meter changes in the music beyond where you want to insert?

There are lots of answers but their efficacy depends on these points.

This is true, pianoleo. I was assuming a single line.

I’ve turned a 2/4 bar into a 3/4 bar. Music before and after is fine. I just want the minims in every part to be dotted minims.

I have a feeling that if you turn on insert mode and then add or replace a time signature Dorico will make the extra beat without causing you problems. Then turn off insert mode, marquee select all the minima (or select the top one and shift-down, or Ctrl/cmd-click them in turn) and hit “.”

It’s off the top of my head, though - I’m not in front of Dorico just now.

Regardless, this has come up on here before. Search the forum for insert beat and I’m sure you’ll find something illuminating :slight_smile:

pianoleo is right: activating insert mode before invoking the 3/4 change would have done the thing you want.

(As a side note: Is there an easy way to change the meter on a single bar only?)

Thinking of it… If you activate insert mode now and change your notes to dotted notes, the following music should be pushed to the right, no?

Here’s what I do…

1. Add a meter change with the same meter to the measure after I want the change (which would seem redundant—wait for it)
  2. Change the meter in the measure prior to the “redundant” meter change

Hope this helps?

Thanks, thiagotiberio, that’s what I do. (Though you can do it the other way around, it does not matter.)
I was just wondering if there is a way to use the shift-m-popover to say “3/4, but only for 1 bar”.

We still don’t have sufficient information from the op as to whether that, alone, will work.

If the material is homophonic and EVERY instrument in the score is playing a minim, then yes, this works.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
“I’ve turned a 2/4 bar into a 3/4 bar. Music before and after is fine. I just want the minims in every part to be dotted minims.”
It is polyphonic.

“Add a meter change with the same meter to the measure after I want the change (which would seem redundant—wait for it)
Change the meter in the measure prior to the “redundant” meter change”
This doesn’t work. I end up with the correct time sigs, but the bar where I want an extra beat now just has a new time sig, but the same amount of beats.

Did you have Insert mode turned on?

Yes.

Got it now. Insert mode on and also with insert caret showing. Works… Thank you!