Inserting startup CC values

Hi,

I would like to see a function for inserting default CC values at the beginning of each track.

While the expression maps can include an Init set of values, it is only really useful if you have a separate expression map for each instrument. Or, it is useful for default values shared by many instrument, making use of that same expression map.

For example, I have a single expression map for all the winds and strings in the VSL VI series. Only one for all the VSL Synchronized Woodwinds, or for the Synchron Strings Pro.

At the same time, I need some different initialization strings at the beginning of each track. For example, Flute 1 could have a default CC7 value of 104, while the Oboe could need a CC7 value of 90.

I would therefore like to see a function where a set of default CC values is inserted at the beginning of each track. This way, one could simply open the Play mode CC lanes, and adjust the value, where needed. If I set a default CC7 value of 104, I will only have to go changing this value for the Oboe track, that requires 90

Paolo

3 Likes

Thinking again about this feature request: I think the best source of initial data would still be the Init item in the expression maps.

1. Choose the Insert Init data at the beginning of Flow command.

2. Dorico will read the Init data in the expression maps, and insert all the available CC and value contained there.

3. The user will edit the initial data in each track.

4. On playback, Dorico will first check for the event at the beginning of each track, and then look if the Init item in the expression map contains additional events.

Paolo

Is it really impractical to have a different expression map for each instrument? That seems the more correct way of handling this. Of course the problem comes when you find that you need to make a large change to your expression map and you’ve already duplicated it into six or seven different ones, but perhaps that’s possible to achieve? Or perhaps in future we could provide a means of applying the switches from one expression map to another, since I guess those are the time-consuming parts to set up.

The orchestral instruments are so many, that, as you say, the maps would become an incredibly high number. A simple general change would have to be made into hundreds of maps.

A more generalized way of driving the instruments would make managing them easier.

Yes, having an editor capable of propagating the changes to all the maps would also be a viable solution. But, still, I think a higher-level generalization would be a reasonable way of dealing with instruments that often have, in the same family, several things in common.

Paolo

FWIW rather than expanding MIDI capabilities in Dorico to mimic more closely Cubase, I think it’s better to keep Dorico as it is in that MIDI is managed abstractly via exp maps, notation and Dorico smarts. Combined with some kind of Cubase integration, or the present MIDI export, that leaves the MIDI finessing for Cubase. We use Dorico, Nuendo and Wavelab daily and like Nuendo/Cubase the least. It does the most, but none of it very well. Focused apps are better.

Something I’m thinking about is that maybe the initial Volume, Expression and Pan values (and maybe other settings) could be part of the endpoint configuration, instead of the expression map.

This way, these initial values would not be tied to a group of instruments making use of that expression map, but to the particular instrument as used in a particular playback template.

Endpoint configurations are saving the virtual instruments and their status. Maybe these parameters could be part of this bundle.

Paolo

1 Like