Installing Size of Dorico and its two default libraries

Hi!

I want to install Dorico on a powerful Tablet computer, as i want to use the software as idea sketchbook whereever i am at the time. As the decision also goes for disc space which tablet it will be my question:

How much hard disk memory will Dorico with its own code and the two libraries (Halion SE, Symphony stuff) take?

Cheers

Halion Symphonic Orchestra is about 6,2 GB installed.

Halion Sonic SE 2 with all soundsets installed (Basic, Artist, Pro) is about 3,2 GB.

The full Dorico installer will probably be around 10~12 GB.

Yes, the final install size will be around 10.8GB to 11GB, we expect.

THX for the info. Makes the selection of my hardware now easy.

This may have been asked already (apologies if so) but for users who already have HSO and HSSE2 can there be a facility to link to the existing files rather than download them all over again?

I’m afraid you will have to download them again, but when you run the installer, they won’t be installed unless the versions included in the Dorico installer are updated compared to the ones you already have installed on your system.

If using Dorico on two computers (at different times) with an e-licenser key, does it need to be installed on both or is it carried/does it exist on the usb key? And does it take up the same permanent space on both computers?

Nick

USB eLicenser is not a USB storage drive. You always have to install the sound library you want to use to where you want to use.

P.S.: I prefer NotePerformer in lieu of HALion sounds. This makes my Dorico installation (plus NotePerformer) less than 3GB.

What I did is to store on a single external storage unit (HD, SSD, USB key) all the sound libs of the various software tools I use, Dorico, Band in a Box, VST instruments, and others. Of course one has to set the appropriate options and storage location in each software tool

You can use several copies of that unit, one per computer
You can dispatch the several sound libs on several units, just make sure you have enough free ports on the computers to plug them all

Benefits

• Only downloaded once per sound lib release, the unit is updated only once when needed
  • Those large very stable sets of sound data aren’t on the computer space
  • these units can be excluded from backup activities, just need to have at least 2 copies of each. That saves backup time
  • You can share these between computers if needed, just use the same external unit (a USB key is enough, unless you have lots of sound libs)

personnally I use both an external HD and a large USB key. the HD contains what I use the less, the USBkey contains what I use the most (Dorico sound lib for instance). That way, I just carry the USB key when using my laptop on the road.

mhch4 wrote:

" What I did is to store on a single external storage unit (HD, SSD, USB key) all the sound libs of the various software tools I use, Dorico,
Band in a Box, VST instruments, and others. Of course one has to set the appropriate options and storage location in each software tool"

I have bought the Dorico 3.0 to 3.5 upgrade, and now find insufficient space on my SSD to install it. The obvious solution is to move playbacks 1 and 2 to my D: drive, which still has most of its terabyte free. How does one set the options and location in the software? I would be happy to work with a manual if I knew where it was.

Along with Dorico the Steinberg Library Manager gets installed. When you launch it, it lists all your installed libraries. On the right is a ‘Move’ button. Click that and you can move the library to a new location and Dorico afterwards will still recognize it.

Thanks, Ulf. I looked at the Library Manager as you suggested. I have moved the HALion Symphonic Orchestra to my D: drive and saved over 3 Gbytes on the SSD, Also the upgrade to 3.5 increased the Dorico demand by only about 500 Mbytes, so no panic for the present, The remaining items listed by the Library Manager are smaller, adding up to less than 3 Gbytes, while the two Playback folders still appear to add up to 18 Gbytes.