Installing Steinberg Apps on Mac

I have recently started using an iMac and I’m trying to get to grips with the way the machine works. I note that by default most apps get placed in the Applications folder. Over time this would I believe make the folder seem a bit untidy.

So I created a sub folder specifically for Steinberg programs and have moved all my Steinberg apps into it. However I note that when an update occurs e.g. C7 v7.0.5 that the update doesn’t find the app in this folder so I have to manually move it to the Applications folder complete the update then move it back.

Qu 1: Is there any way of setting a mac so that the Steinberg updates will find the Steinberg folder I created for the apps?

I wonder if there are actually any real disadvantages in placing all apps in the default application folder instead of sub folders as I assume that it should be possible to group apps in specific ways using spotlight searches or custom views.

Qu 2: Wondered if the more experienced Mac users amongst you could advise on the Pro/Cons of leaving all Apps in the default application folder?

You pursuit of customization is to be applauded.

However, some things should be left alone. As you’ve discovered putting apps into subfolders in the Applications folder causes problems with updaters not being able to find an authorized app to update.

A better solution would be to become familiar with Launch Pad. The first screen contains all Apple apps. The next screen contains apps from other sources. You can drag the apps around to arrange them as you please. You could even create a separate screen for just your SB apps.

Check out the links below.
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Launchpad-in-Mac-Os-X-Lion

http://www.gcflearnfree.org/macosxmountainlion/5.3

Another solution would be to create aliases of each app (⌘ + L), then drag the alias into a new folder (inside of your Documents folder) entitled Audio Apps or some such. You can then drag that folder onto your Dock where it’s conveniently located.

I’m sure other Mac pro’s will offer more suggestions.

Enjoy exploring and using your new iMac.

Dave, you are absolutely right (and Dr. V is, unfortunately, wrong). There is nothing that prevents you from storing your programs in folders, you’ve made yourself. You can even have sub-folders withing these folders if you wish. I have made a number of folders, named after type. I have even numbered them (1. Audio, 2. Graphics, etc) so that I can be sure that they stay first, no matter what type of “View” (Icon, List, etc.) I select.

The only reason that all installers install in the Applications folder, is that it has become an unspoken “standard”. Some installers let you choose where you install your program, but it’s actually easier to move them manually, than mess with the installer.

Oh, by the way, I keep the “eLicenser Control Center” in the “Applications” folder. I don’t know if this is necessary, but… just to be safe.

I have yet to come across a program that wouldn’t work after having been moved (provided the whole install, including support-files, is moved in one go). If you do, throw it away. Then it’s a piece of badly programmed junk, that shouldn’t be trusted! NOTE! This only applies to programs. Other stuff, such as drivers, VST plug-in, etc. has specific places where they should be kept.

Actually. The VST plug-ins are. a bit of a, special case. On a Windows PC they can be kept. just about, anywhere. On the Mac, however, they must be kept at: Library/Audio/Plug-in/VST. There is, however, nothing that preventa you from making sub-folders in the “VST” folder. I have made sub-folders, that corresponds with the ones Steinberg use in Cubase (The VST plug-in that comes with Cubase are stored in the Cubase file, which is actually a package.) This gives me tidy and organized menus when selecting effects and instruments in Cubase. If you do not keep your VST plug-in organized in sub-folders, you will very soon end up with loooooooong menus in Cubase.

A!: No

If you keep your Cubase program in a folder of your own making, you’ll need to put it back in the Applications folder in order to update it. This is dead easy though.

1. Open the folder where you keep your copy of Cubase.
  2. open the “Applications” folder in a new window.
  3. Drag the “Cubase” file to the “Applications” window (folder).
  4. Run the update installer.
  5. Put the “Cubase” file back to where you want it.

Voila! There you have it. An updated Cubase, residing in a tidy and organized folder structure, that is easy to reach.

A2: As far as I can see, there are no cons, just pros. Keeping your programs in an organized folder structure, that is “locked” to the top of the window, makes them much easier to find, than having to search an endless “Application” window, by scrolling and scrolling and scrolling…

As for Dr. V’s reference to the “Launch Pad”. The “Lanch Pad” is an even bigger mess than the “Applications” folder. It has the same drawback. It is littered with stuff that you hardly ever, or never, use. Here’s a much tidier way to gain access to your programs.

1. Make a new folder wherever you like (I keep mine in the “Applications”, just so that I know where it is.) and name it whatever you like. If you have lots of programs, you can make sub-folders aswell.

2. Create aliases of all the programs you use (don’t forget programs for your soundcard, etc) and put them in this folder.

3. Drag this folder to the Dock and place it wherever you like (I keep mine next to the trashcan).

4. Now, click an hold on the folder in the dock. And select from the Options sub-menu the following: Sort by name, Display as Folder and View content as List.

There you have it. Instead of a Launch Pad, cluttering up you whole screen, you have a tidy hierarchical menu with just the stuff you want to have access to, right there in the Dock. Fast and easy access!

As a matter of fact, I have made a second folder, in the Dock, that points to other document folders i want to reach fast. One thing about the User/“Username”/Documents folder. Despite it’s name, this is a very bad place to store your documents! The reason being that lots of programs to store their own files. Pretty soon, you’ll have a very hard time finding your documents.

A much better idea is to create another folder somewhere, where you keep your own documents. Now, drag this folder to the Dock and place it beside your folder with your applications (with the same Options settings as above), and there you are. Quick and easy access to all of your documents, right there in the Doc. And…(drumroll)… if you save a new document to your, selfmade, document folder, it will automatically show up in your Dock menu.

I hope that this has clarified at least some of your questions.

1 Like

Dave:
Svenne’s organizational tips are all good methods. When he said this:

Pretty soon, you’ll have a very hard time finding your documents.

…it reminded me of why I keep a rather non-invasive system “helper” app installed on all my Macs for just such searches.
It is called “Folder Glance” FolderGlance

It’s like having a Finder on steroids. Right clicking on any folder or drive will produce a hierarchical menu system that lets you drill down to a folder or file within seconds. When it comes to the simple task of just finding stuff quickly, you can’t beat this thing.

I also wanted to point out that some developers (like Native Instruments,for example) provide a tool (Service Center) to locate the folder you moved one (or more) of their apps to (after the initial installation), when a “can’t find the app” prompt pops up during the updating process. It’d be nice if more developers that require a specific location for updating their products, would provide this convenient feature.

This last bit of info is a bit advanced…but may be of some use to others reading this thread: When you install an app via a .DMG, it creates a package receipt containing info on the installed locations. Many updaters interrogate this receipt to find the assumed location of the app to be updated. If it’s been moved, you get the “can’t locate” prompt because it’s looking for the receipt location.

That’s where a utility like Pacifist is handy. Pacifist is an app that, amongst other features, will let you drill down hierarchically though a DMG package and find (through its Info menu) the location assigned by the installer of any component within the package. This provides you with a location to move stuff back to, should an updater fail to find specific installer component locations during an updating process.

For whatever reason, your response to my post seems needlessly hostile.

Just curious, did you not notice that I already addressed what you describe above?
Another solution would be to create aliases of each app (⌘ + L), then drag the alias into a new folder (inside of your Documents folder) entitled Audio Apps or some such. You can then drag that folder onto your Dock where it’s conveniently located.

You may not like Launch Pad but I do and have it customized with groups and pages per graphics and audio apps.

There are many options in customizing a computer work space. What works comes down to personal preference based on knowledge of the options.

The thread starter now has many options to consider based on responses provided.

Peace.

Whatever gave you that idea? I hope you’re not so sensitive that you can’t take it that someone points out that you’re wrong. Then you have to toughen up, buddy. :wink:

This isn’t a problem, once you know how to deal with it. The benefits of an organized folder structure far outweighs any “problems” with having to move the program for updating it.

Yes, you gave a generic description of making a Dock-folder with aliases. However, since i got the impression that Dave is new to the Mac OS, I gave a step-by-step instruction on how to go about making it. (Like the Cubase manual does. Ever read that?)

You may like having your screen filled up with junk and wasting time searching for what you want. That is your prerogative.

I hate it!! And I know that many others do aswell. It’d be hard to find any MacOS feature that has been more criticized (well, maybe GateKeeper). I much prefer a tidy hierarchical menu in the Dock, that gives me quick and easy access without being cluttered up with junk I don’t need. That is my prerogative.

Here’s another tidbit for you Dave. (Just in case you’re not aware of it.) The next time you open Cubase, or any program you want quick access to, move it (by dragging) to another place in the Dock, or select Options/Keep in Dock. That way, the icon will remain in the Dock. The next time you want to start Cubase, just click on the icon.

If you want to remove an icon from the dock you can use the Options menu again, or simply drag it from the Dock and it will disappear in a puff of smoke (literary). The first thing I do, when installing MacOS, is remove all the junk that Apple places in the Dock.

Excuse me???
I’ve been a Cubase user since 1998 when it came with several printed manuals with white covers and red print.

For whatever reason, you’re clearly over the top.

While you’re high energy brings with it lot’s of good information, it does not give you license to insult or to insinuate.

I would suggest that you take some lessons in civility out of respect for the cubase community.
Cover.png

Touchy, aren’t we?

And… Should I be impressed? Ever heard of Pro 16, Pro 23 and Cubeat? That was the good old days before DVDs, CDs and the Internet. Everything came on floppy disks, including updates. I remember reporting a bug to my local distributer and 2-3 weeks later a floppy arrived from Steinberg with an updated (and fixed) version. Aaaah, those were the days. :slight_smile:

By the way, I’m not a coward who hides behind a fake name. What’s your real name, I doubt it is Dr. V, is it?

Respect is given to those who deserve it.

C.mon guys…dial it down. You’ve probably frightened the OP off by now.