Instrument names in German version

Were there any changes to instrument names localisation in v1.2? I just created a score layout from scratch in the german version of Dorico and I was pretty sure that Dorico already had german instrument names. In my current 1.2 version, all the instrument categories are in german, the instrument names are all in english, though (see attached picture). It was quite time consuming to change all the instrument names by hand.
I looked into the instrumentnames_de.xml file in Dorico.app and all german instrument names translations seem to be there…

In Engraving Options you can set the language (Sprache) of instrument names.

Thomas

Please go to “Engraving Options”, then choose the category “Language”, there you can change the language of the instrument names.

Thanks guys… still a lot to learn! :wink:

I have to report that changing this setting does not change any instrument names here.

I just installed 1.2, did a PC reboot and started a new score using the “Concert Band” template that came with Dorico.
When I change the instrument name setting to German, the instruments stay in English.

I also tried a new score from scratch, added a Clarinet, changed the name setting to German - and it stayed “Clarinet”.

BTW, I know that this has worked here in 1.1.

I’ve got the same problem. Selected in Engraving Options “Deutsch” for Instrument Names → all Names still in English.

I had some problems as well, after installing a fresh Dorico 1.2 installation, but after a few restartst of Dorico and two or three tries to change to “Deutsch” for the instruments, it finally works. Unfortunately I can’t remember the step that really helped me …
So, keep on trying!

Unlike the other settings in Engraving Options, the setting for the language of instrument names is not retrospective, i.e. it does not change the language of staff labels already present in the project, but it will take effect for instruments you add to the project after changing it.

Dear Estigy,

I have the same behavior as yours here. I can change the “real” language of the instruments only if it is changed before creating players. Any attempt after creation shows the instrument in the new language when I choose it, but then it is displayed in the former language. Certainly not the expected behavior, I guess.

What I found is that changing the names to german (if it works or not) makes obviously also not changing i.E. the “B flat” to “B”.

“flat” is not a german word and the note name for B flat in german is B.

Certainly not the expected behavior

Well… Yes. Definitely not the expected behavior.

Allow me to repeat myself from post #28 above:

Yes, that is true, thank you Daniel.

But one little thing remains: there is no Clarinette in B (flat) [“Klarinette in B”].
A, A flat, C, D, E flat is available. But no B flat.

Well… Allow me to repeat myself:
Not the behavior I would expect :wink:

So I cannot use any of the templates that ship with Dorico, since I have to delete all the instruments and add them again in order to get them in my language?

Daniel, I understand well that it is not retroactive, but what I really do not fond intuitive is that if I change the Engraving setting and then change an instrument in Setup mode, it keeps the former language…
Not a major problem, since creating a new player solves the issue.

There are differences between the Instrument names, the instrument categories and the transposition. It was stated more than once, that the transpositon of the instruments haven’t been localized yet. The improvement of version 1.2 ist, that one can switch the transpositions on or off independendly. So you can switch them all off and write the German version in the Instrument name, when you want to show them. This is already an improvement!
The language of the instrument categories depend on the langauge you are working with in Dorico. They won’t change, when you change the setting in Engrave mode.
Daniel, there is something strange in changing the instrument language. When I change the instrument language and set it as standard, than this is not always respected after closing Dorico. When I didn’t save the score after the change, this is definetly the case and I also had problems after saving the score. Trying ths again I had to go to the menu more than once to set another language as standard until it really happened in a new score.

Daniel, I also understand it. I changed the instrument language and saved it with “german” as default… ok for future projects.
But still it is like “not expected”, especially because everything in Dorico is so well structured and functional… eg a cue changes instantly when I change the voice … so one tends to expect, that the instrument lables changes instantly when you switch the language in the engrave options. If this was implemented, it could be useful to have a warning dialog that instrument labels changed “by hand” will be overwritten…

I guess it is generally better to use an old thread than to start a new one. A question on this.

I am not on the german version, just keeping language in preferences set to default. In a score with many players already present, I decide to split the Basso line into Violoncello and Contrabbasso. Violoncello already exists, but Contrabbasso has to be created. I set the instrument name language to italian and create the player: Kontrabass.

According to what you are saying, this new player should get the italian name, shouldn’t it? Am I missing some vital step here?

Thanks
LAE

Yes, that is what I would expect to happen, and indeed what does happen for me. Do you reproduce the problem in a newly-created project?

Sorry, I missed your answer.

In a newly created project I cannot reproduce the problem, it works as it should. Possibly the problematic project started as an xml-import (I do not remember…), if that might have anything to do with it.