INSTRUMENT RACK SIZING?

So that was in earlier versions? Gee, that would be nice.

Shame they take stuff away as new versions come along.

Too bad they couldn’t just leave & then add to stuff or at least offer the option to migrate things from earlier versions, especially once you get used to using something.

But I don’t write any code, so I would imagine it’s a lot easier said than done.

I’m new to Cubase from 7.0 just last summer, so I don’t necessarily know what I’m missing from any of the past.

I’ve just posted this in the features and requests thread:

I think there have been several threads (and other request threads) on this topic. Does anyone know if Steinberg have given any response to any of them?

Personally I don’t think an option of the classic view is very realistic from a design or coding perspective. Far more likely, imo, is a proper collapsed view of the new window, which would actually be preferable to me anyway. One of the major drags of the old window was an inability to rename each instance, it would be great to keep this functionality. While I’d ultimately like the height of each instrument to be pencil thin with no bevel, a way to collapse the bottom half of the current display I’d have thought would be a cinch, and would double the real estate at a stroke. That bottom half contains nothing useful to me in day to day use, the top half has all the essential stuff. In fact, the design right now positively invites you to press the COLLAPSE button - except it doesn’t exist.

(obviously I’m not talking about quick controls which you can hide already).

The other thing that’s a little clumsy right now is the whole confusion of track / rack instruments. Different shading would help or (better) two tabs for each. And also dedicated new track AND new rack buttons. Also, Steinberg really need to address the ancient and crude “would you like to create a midi channel” dialog when adding a rack instrument. A simple wizard with number of midi tracks / incremental yes/no / number of audio outputs should be a morning’s coding.

As a design, the VST instrument rack feels very clunky and 1.0 at the moment, but I do see plenty of good and possibilities along with the frustrations. I’d be delighted to see a v2.0 in a coming update with these things addressed - that seems a more positive way forward than asking “can we go back to the old ways”.

All of the above, especially the last paragraph

“can we go back to the old ways”. The ‘old ways’ are not necessarily a bad thing, such as the ability to minimise individual channels in the mixer. What is wrong with that, as a function?

Mauri.

Nothing at all, and no reason why that specific feature couldn’t be integrated into the mixer, but that’s off topic really. My point concerns the call by some to throw out the new instrument rack completely and return to the old. I don’t think that’s a realistic request - asking for improvements is, imo, far better.