Instruments disapear in the list or change their name

Hello,

I have a bug annoying enough that happened to me twice: some instruments disappear (flute), others change their name (becomes ‘1st Trombone’). I have to completely uninstall all Steinberg programs and manually erase the remaining files and reinstall them. This happened on Dorico 2 and 3.

Okay Flute is not an important instrument but… (joke inside :laughing: !)

Is this problem known? And if so, another solution to solve it? Thank you !

The obvious explanation is that you’ve done “Edit Names” on a specific instrument, then “Saved as Default” for that instrument. Don’t save as default if you don’t want it to carry through to other projects.

Ok, I don’t think this is the solution. Because I don’t rename this isntrument like this… And why Flute disappear ? I never change the name…

“Flute” will disappear because you’ve renamed one instance of “Flute” as “1st Trombone” (or whatever). If the original instrument has been renamed something else in the Instruments List, it won’t also show up there under its original name.
Are you on Mac or Windows? I can tell you how to fix it…

Do you think this problem can appear because I import XML from Musescore ? Because I never change the name like that…

And yes I want your solution if the problem appears again. I’m on windows. (and sorry for my bad english too)

I honestly don’t know what would cause this, apart from changing instrument names manually.
If you can identify the instruments that are misnamed from within Dorico, you just need to do this:

1. Add the instrument to a project.
  2. Click the arrow to the right of the Player to show the instrument, then click the arrow to the right of the instrument and go “Edit names”
  3. Retype the original names.
  4. Tick the Save as Default Button.
  5. Hit OK.

If you can’t find the problem instrument(s) then the easiest way round this is to delete your userlibrary.xml file. This will clear your default custom Playing Techniques, default Instrument Names, custom Tonality Systems etc., but it sounds like your previous method also would have cleared all of these things, and this method’s a lot quicker than reinstalling Dorico.

1. Close Dorico.
  2. Navigate to %appdata%\Steinberg\Dorico 3 (or %appdata%\Steinberg\Dorico 2 if you’re on Dorico 2).
  3. Find and delete the file called “userlibrary.xml”.
  4. Reopen Dorico.

Ok I will try if I have this problem ! Thank you very much !

I am experiencing this again.

I had this exact problem a few months ago. Flute disappeared from the instrument list (or rather, became an empty blue selection bar) I often change instruments if imported from xml, but rarely change instrument names. I followed your instructions: edit names, save as default, etc. and fixed it on that day. I haven’t needed to create a full score since then, so I don’t know if it was really corrected the last time it happened.

Today, when I select Flute from the instrument list, it shows up as “Voice” in setup. Just now, I followed your same instructions. As a result, Flute has disappeared from the instrument list again. Or rather is now once again blank blue line. Weird problem - don’t know how I got here or how to get back.

I’m unable to locate Userlibrary.xml (mac)

I’ve attached the score but this problem occurs on any score I open or create.

Thanks, Leo for all the help you provide up here.

I would be thrilled if there is a way to reset to defaults without uninstalling and re-installing.

Look in %APPDATA%\Steinberg on Windows or /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Steinberg
Within there there’s a Dorico (or Dorico 2 or Dorico 3) folder, in which you should find userlibrary.xml

This fixed it!

Thanks again