Integration midi controller in Cubasis android

Is it possible to integrate a midi controller / keyboard in Cubasis 3.2 android, which is connected to my android mobile with USB over a OTG Adapter. The Donner DMK-25 Mini USB Keyboard includes 4 Regulator knobs, 4 sliders, 8 pads and transportation Switches, which I want to use in cubasis 3.2 android. The notes allready arive in a midi track.

I will be happy for every hint.

Best regards and happy Eastern.
Svens Jegorovs

Any class-compliant MIDI keyboard should work fine. I use an Akai LPK25 plugged into a OnePlus6 (Android 10) in OTG mode via the supplied cable and a cheap Amaxon OTG adaptor. Works a treat!

For the record, I got the wireless version of the LPK25 specifically in order to circumvent such cable hassles. I strongly recommend you don’t do this. Android support for wireless MIDI over Bluetooth LE is very poor indeed (even today) and even though it’s technically possible to hack it into working, the resultant latency is horrible. All down to current limitations of Android apparently.

Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Dear Mattster,

thanks for your quick response. My idea is, to buy the Akai MPK Mini MK 3, which should work with Cubasis 3.2 on my Android Mobile over OTG as well with Cubase AI 11 on my Windows 10 PC. One keyboard for 2 worlds.

Should that work in the expected way?

I hope to hear back from you soon.

Happy Eastern Hollydays

Svens

Getting these devices working on both Android & PC is exactly what I did. If anything, it’s worth doing in case of difficulties as it might help you isolate where any problems might lie (though in truth it’s generally very straightforward).
You shouldn’t have any difficulty getting the MPK working with Cubase on your PC. The USB cable will plug straight into the MPK at one end and into the PC at the other end.

The only thing you’ll need to get Cubasis working with your Android device is a USB OTG adapter that converts the (almost certainly) USB-A plug to be compatible with whatever interface is on your Android device.

If you haven’t already done so, I’d also ensure that Cubasis will actually install & run on your Android device. My 3 year-old OnePlus phone is based on a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoA which seems to work rather well but I wouldn’t want to run it on anything slower.

Thanks again for your quick response. Over the afternoon I watched Youtube videos over Korg Nanokey Studio and over the Akai maschine. I come to the decision to buy the Akai MPK Mini MK 3. The important reasons are the I cluded software package, the managing tool and the option for good integration in Cubase AI 11. Your recommendation was helpfull for my decision devicion findling.

Engoy the Eastern Holidays, stay health and have a creative time.

Best regards from TravemĂĽnde/Germany
Svens Jegorovs

1 Like

You’re welcome :slightly_smiling_face: I think the Akai MPK mk 3 is an excellent choice.

My top tip for you - if your Android device has a USB-C interface - is to consider a USB hub rather than a simple OTG adapter. It can give you quite a bit of flexibility. I got something very similar to this:

Will you be connecting an audio interface as well?

My mobile has only a USB-C connection, but I have a OTG hub width 3 USB-A connectors for devices (mouse, keyboard, midi controller) and a micro USB connectors for connection a powersupply for these things. The audio stuff I have planed to do with Cubase on my PC. After more than 12 years without music making I try a restart again and I’m very hopefull with that.

Best regards
Svens

Hi @SvensJegorovs,

Thanks for your message.

Please give our freely downloadable Cubasis LE 3 Trial for Android version a try, to find out if things work as expected, given your Android setup.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Lars

After receiving my new Akai MPK Mini I Was today able to Setup it for using in Cubase AI for playing notes and using the chord pads.

Now I tryed to set it up to use it in the same way with Cubasis 3.2 android. The keyboard is connected over a OTG adapter to my mobile. The played notes do arrive with no problems in Cubasis, but I don’t with the settings from Cubase to get the chord pads working. Which notes I’ve to program in the keyboard to make this feature to work. Do you have a hint for me?

Any way, your tip to by the Akai MPK Mini was great.It works very well, the aditional Software pack is great, the configuration app works well and the support was great to help me with my first questions. Great Tip. Many thanks again.

Best regards from Germany and have a nice weekend.

Svens

Hi @SvensJegorovs,

Thanks for your message.

Now I tryed to set it up to use it in the same way with Cubasis 3.2 android. The keyboard is connected over a OTG adapter to my mobile. The played notes do arrive with no problems in Cubasis, but I don’t with the settings from Cubase to get the chord pads working. Which notes I’ve to program in the keyboard to make this feature to work. Do you have a hint for me?

Please let us have more exact details, what works different in both Cubasis versions.

Thanks,
Lars

Dear Lars,

I used the last das to test the Akai MPK with Cubase AI 11 and Cubasis 3.2 android. In Cubase I can trigger the left 2x4 pads (chords & drums) with the set A and the right 2x4 pads with the set B of the 2x4 pads of the MPK. In Cubasis I can only trigger the Drumpads and not the chordpads and, big difference to cubase, set B trigers the left 2x4 pads and set A the right 2x4 pads of Cubasis. Also I dont find a way to select the midi channel to watch. Where I find the needed info to resolve that problem?

Thanks in advance
Svens

Hi @SvensJegorovs,

Thank you for your message.

Please note that Cubasis is developed by an independent team, specially designed for mobile use.

In regards to your question, please note that MIDI Learn / MCU /HUI support is planned to be added in a future update, which should enable you to use the controller pads as planned.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Lars

So happpy I have found this forum subject discussion.
What I would like to do is to connect a USB soundinterface to my android, and connect also a midi controller keyboard. I am thinking to get a usb hub and a sound interface that has midi connection built in. Does anyone already has this setup working? Any answer is MUCH appreciated
Thank you!