Interapp with Cubasis - Heavy problem midi keyboard triggering

Hello, sorry for my english,
I have a big problem that drives me crazy.
I state that until recently, everything worked perfectly for me.

But now I have noticed that when I use interApp with Cubasis in a midi track and external midi keyboard, the external keyboard triggers even if in Cubasis setup it is enabled “midi input only if the track is selected”.
With the Cubasis internal keyboard everything works great and I don’t have problem with the audio-unit app.
The problem is only when I use the external midi keyboard and with all interapps (Sampletank, Korg Module, Galileo, Synthmaster player ect, and many others, just to give an example) with Cubasis.

I also tried with another midi keyboard and does not change anything. Before the last update there was not this problem.
Everything is up-to-date, I reset my midi keyboard to default settings, I have uninstalled and installed Cubasis and I have also reset my Ipad, but nothing.

After doing a thousand tests, the only thing I noticed is that by unplugging and re-plugging the headphone jack everything returns to work, but tapping to interapp and then returning to Cubase, midi keyboard triggers even if I work on another track. Then I unplug the headphone jack and attack it again. It’s an absurd thing.

Please, help me to solve.

My hardware: Ipad 2017 with latest version of IOS, Cme m-key midi keyboard usb, Camera Kit connection, Apple Lightning-USB 3. Everything is up to date.

Hi Alex00,

Thanks for your message.

Our quality assurance gave the issue a short check, where things work as expected.
Also, we did not introduce changes in this area within recent Cubasis updates.

Steps

• assign iSEM via IAA, assign iMini via IAA
  • connect external keyboard via Yamaha MB-BT01 bluetooth MIDI adapter
  • select MIDI track (regardless of “MIDI input only if track is selection” status)
  • trigger a note on the external keyboard

Result

• selected iSEM / iMini presets are audible
  • triggered notes are correctly recorded

Environment

• iPad Pro 10.5, iOS 11.3.1, Cubasis 2.4.0.1

Please let us know, if the steps above differ from yours.

Some additional thoughts:

• Did you try to give the iPad a full restart?
  • It might make sense to deactivate MIDI input in the 3rd party instruments apps settings, to avoid possible double triggering.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Lars

Hi Lars,

thanks for the quick reply.
These are the steps I have done:

_Steps

• assign iSEM via IAA, assign iMini via IAA_ (OK)
    - connect external keyboard via Yamaha MB-BT01 bluetooth MIDI adapter (OK, BUT KEYBOARD CONNECTED WITH CAMERA KIT)
    - select MIDI track (“MIDI input only if track is selection” OK)
    - trigger a note on the external keyboard (OK)

Result
- selected iSEM / iMini presets are audible] (OK, BUT I SIMULTANEOUSLY HEAR ALL THE IAA)
- triggered notes are correctly recorded (OK)

Some additional thoughts:

• Did you try to give the iPad a full restart? (YES, I DID IT)
  • It might make sense to deactivate MIDI input in the 3rd party instruments apps settings, to avoid possible double triggering. (IT IS NECESSARY? SAMPLETANK, FOR EXAMPLE, DOES NOT ALLOW IT)

The problem, according to me, is that interapp plays in background when i use external midi keyboard, therefore I can listen to it even if i work on another track on Cubasis.
So, the problem remains the same: when I play a note on the external midi keyboard, I simultaneously hear all the interapps, not the selected one. First it always worked. I do not know what to do.

With garageband this does not happen. But I spent a lot of money for Cubasis and until a month ago I did not have these problems.

Help me please.

Environment:

• iPad 2017 (5th generation), iOS 11.3.1, Cubasis 2.4.0.1

Hi Alex00,

As mentioned before, MIDI input requires to be deactivated in the connected third party instrument apps, to avoid unwanted double triggering.
The issue is unrelated to Cubasis, and you will experience the same double triggering when running these instruments apps (e.g. iSEM, iMini) on their own.

On a side note:
Apple’s newer Audio Unit format can more or less be seen as the successor of Inter-App Audio.
Many third party developers already have released their instruments and/or effects as Audio Units.
You will not see similar double MIDI trigger problems using AU instruments, plus many more improvements in other areas, compared to IAA.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Lars