Invert MIDI notes in Cubase Pro

Is it possible to invert MIDI notes in cubase? In another forum a user stated it’s possible with:

“VST 3 invert (in the logical editor)”

I was just wondering if someone can verify this works? I haven’t upgraded to Cubase 10 Pro yet and wanted to make sure it does have this capability (the Logical Editor isn’t in Elements) before I make the jump to the Pro version.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome,

What is your expected result, after Invert, please?

There is an Logical Editor preset named Note Expression - Invert Values. This is probably the one you are referring to. An action is:
VST 3 Value Operation | Invert.

But the condition is: Type Is | Unequal | Note.

There are 2 MIDI Functions:

• Reverse
  • Mirror

I am looking to invert notes vertically, like this:

Thank you for the insight about the Logical Editor. Basically I am trying to make sure Cubase can do the above before I buy the Pro version. I just don’t have any way to make sure the options you provided work for the desired effect (picture above), without actually purchasing Cubase Pro.

Do you think “Note Expression - Invert Values” can give the same result as above?

Hi,

No, the “Note Expression - Invert Values” will not do the work. It would change the Velocity of the MIDI Notes.

Either I’m overlooking something basic, or it’s not possible to do this in Cubase.

Drats! I would think something so simple could be done in Cubase. I just realized the person in another forum that said it can be done with “VST 3 invert (in the logical editor)”, was non other than “rctec”. So it seems there is some validity there, but if it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work.

Lame!

Thanks again

Hi,

Unfortunately, I have no idea, how could I map the Porch to the VST 3 Operation…

Can be done in Reaper. Invert Selected Notes Vertically.

Unless I’m misunderstanding the question, you should be able to do this in the Logical Editor. In the attached example, the notes will flip around C3.

@ BJ

Yeah in Reaper I tried it out, set up key commands for MIDI Reverse and Invert. Super slick. Ableton also has the option for both as well. SLick there also. It’s also great because you can drag the MIDI right from Cubase into either Ableton or Reaper, do the function, and then export it out to a folder, drag and drop from there back into Cubase. A small hassle but I have been willing to do it.

I got a response from the person that asked in the forum I linked above. He said the “VST 3 Invert” method mentioned works…

@ raino

Excellent! I was confused about the mirror function in the logical editor when I looked it up online, because Cubase also has a mirror function under:

MIDI>Functions>Mirror

And I wasn’t sure if there was any differentiation between the two. I know the one under the MIDI>Functions>Mirror horizontally flips the notes (retrograde). And I wasn’t sure that the Logical Editor “Mirror” function did this vertically (inversion).

So… it seems that the two Mirror functions are indeed different…? (The MIDI>Functions>Mirror function does this horizontally, and then the Mirror function in the logical Editor as you have it set up does this vertically, as you said, around a chosen note,which in the case you posted, is C3…?)

Sorry for asking what seems to be a redundant question, I wish I had a way to test it out myself for absolute clarity but there’s no Logical Editor in Cubase Elements.

However, it seems we’re all on point…

From the online documentation:

Mirror

This is only available when Action Target is set to Value 1 or Value 2. When this option is selected, the values will be “mirrored” around the value set in the Parameter 1 column.

In the case of notes, this will invert the scale, with the key set in the Parameter 1 column as “center point”.

Well you can download the C10 trial, but you’ll need a physical dongle to run it. No big deal if you buy Pro, but if you don’t it’s a lost expense.

The LE preset I posted definitely works, I tested it before posting.

Well you can download the C10 trial, but you’ll need a physical dongle to run it. No big deal if you buy Pro, but if you don’t it’s a lost expense.

The LE preset I posted definitely works, I tested it before posting.

On account of your help Steinberg just got another C10 Pro customer.

Regards,

Steve

If only I could get a cut :laughing:

I created some logical presets to do inversions (see attachment).
Copy the folder Inversion in the attachment to C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase \Presets\Logical Edit
Start Cubase and you will find the inversion scripts under Midi/Logical Presets/Inversion/…

How to use:
There are 3 inversion types:

1/Inversions around C3 (Hi and Lo can be used together):

• Invert-C3 Hi: will invert=mirror every note >= C3 and shift the result up 48 notes(4 octaves) (into the same register)
  • Invert-C3 Lo: will invert=mirror every note < C3 and shift the result down 48 notes(4 octaves) (into the same register)

2/Inversions around E3 (Hi and Lo can be used together)(E3 is the middle note in midi terms):

• Invert-E3 Hi: will invert=mirror every note >= E3 and shift the result up 48 notes(4 octaves) (into the same register)
  • Invert-E3 Lo: will invert=mirror every note < E3 and shift the result down 48 notes(4 octaves) (into the same register)
  • Invert-E3: will invert=mirror every note around the center E3 (low notes will be high and vice versa)

3/Inversions per octave x around Cx (can be used together):
-Invert-C0 … Invert-C7: will invert all the notes within the specified octave x around the Cx and shift them back in the same octave x

Enjoy! :wink:
Inversion.zip (7.67 KB)

Thanks for the presets. This might help some folks to move the inversion folder: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/360000327730-Location-file-paths-of-presets-in-Cubase-and-Nuendo-

Has been available in most daws for over 5 years*
The logical editor workaround is great in the meantime. Would just be nice to have a dedicated invert option like mirror & reverse :slight_smile: