iOS 10 Problems (solved with firmware update)

As the starter of this thread I have a couple of comments:

1. Thanks to the Steinberg team for the new firmware update - much appreciated. My UR22Mkii is now working with most software. Module and iGrand etc working flawlessly now with iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6s.

2. Sorry to report I am still having problems with one of my favourite apps bs-16i - which is a soundfont player app.
    Without the UR22Mkii there are no problems but with the audio interface attached most attempts to change a soundfont result in delays and noise and the only solution seems to be to unplug the interface and plug it back in. This problem wasn’t there with iOS 9 but is definitely there with iOS 10 and the UR22Mkii even with the updated firmware.

Anybody else have an issue?

A firmware update has just been posted for the affected hardware.

Will try this today. My UR44 won’t connect to my new Ipad Air 2. Happy to see that Steinberg works so hard to support us customers. Thank you!

Please help.
I upgraded to IOS 10 and all my Yamaha and Steinberg Audio Interfaces are unusable.

Note that sometimes the MG10Xu mixer / audio interface seem to work for a lapse of 8 to 9 minutes. Then there is a blast of noise.
I tested with my UR44 and UR28M, and they have the same problem.However on the Steinberg interfaces the blast of noise comes more often, sometimes every 30 seconds.

The issues happen with third party apps, I can reproduce the error with Amplitube and Ampkit+.
When the blast of noise shows up, I close the app (amplitube) and open it again and the noise is gone, depending on the interface it can take 1 minute, 8 or 10 minutes or a random time and the noise will come back.

The dspMix audio seems to work fine (using it as a standalone app, there is no noise blast)

If Steinberg is testing , please make sure you run the tests for more than 10 minutes.

I tested with two iPads, an iPad Air 2 and an iPad Pro 9.7.

Also, On the iPad Pro I got an error message when I opened the dspmix app.
The error says dspmixfx mat slow down your ipad
The developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility.

HEEEELLLPPP!!!
These three interfaces are $900 bucks together and they dont work with iOS!!!

All of them are advertised as IOS compatible… :frowning:

idanramos, thank you for your report! I’ll check with Amplitube and an iPad Air 2 asap and let you know if I can reproduce this here.

Hello idanramos and raemike,

We have done some testings with UR44 and haven’t been able to reproduce the issues.

We have tried to reproduce it following the instructions idanramos kindly gave in his post.

Which Firmware for UR44 have you installed?

Could you please give us some further information about your setup and the way how to reproduce the issues?

Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Stefan Schreiber

I have made some additional tests with Amplitube with an iPad Air 2 and a UR44 attached. Amplitube standalone or as an inter-app audio plug-in, all works well.
As mentioned above, we would need the exact version numbers of all involved components (UR44 firmware, iOS version, Amplitube version etc.) to help.

Hi All,

I did also several tests with the Air 2 :

• iOS 10.0 + UR 44 Firmware 2.11 + Cubasis
  • iOS 10.1 + UR 44 Firmware 2.11 + Cubasis
  • iOS 10.1 + UR 44 Firmware 2.11 + Cubasis + DspMixFX
  • iOS 10.1 + UR 44 Firmware 2.11 + Amplitude + Line Input Bass
  • iOS 10.1 + UR 44 Firmware 2.11 + Amplitude + DspMixFX+ Line Input Bass

I checked it between 20 min and 60 min at one piece connection and all works as expected.

No Noise !

Please give us an step by step description to verify your Noise Issue.

best
Jan

Thanks very much for all the effort put into this issue.

I did more testing and these were my findings:

The USB cable I was using worked with the dspMix app and both interfaces (UR44 and UR28M). Music playback using Apple’s music app was ok. However all third party apps using the steinberg interfaces as an input device were having issues (a lot of noise). The same cable was used with non steinberg interfaces with no issues.

I replaced the USB cable,
(I was lucky and found the original steinberg cable)
The issue with the third party apps was resolved.

Thanks again.

Thanks for letting us know! I’m glad that it works now.

How do I go about installing these firmware updates on my ipad? I can download the file, but from there what do I need to do?

The update guide is also available on the download pages:

Yep me too, same as you all. Latency, crackling, un usable even on playback.
I even bought a new iPad today to fix the issue… it didn’t fix anything.

So both my ur22mkii and iPad are paperweights until either apple or steinberg can fix it.

Hi, I have been having problems with my UR44 and iPad Air2 running iOS 10.2 Bad audio crackling starts after a while, with almost any combination of apps, all that varies is the amount of time before the crackle starts. I tried altering bit rate and buffer sizes on different apps to 44.1KHz and 524 or 1028 frames but it still have the problem. My most frequent apps used are Novation Launchpad, Blocs Wave, iSem, Audiobus, AUM, Turnado. I had this for a while in iOS 9.x but it stabilised on 9.3.5 and came back on iOS 10. I am using firmware 2.1.1. I hope you can fix this, it took me a long time to establish the UR44 is the problem I tried using a Focusrite sound card and there is no problem.

My Ur22 records a load of garbled, barely understandable noise when I record “one, two, one, two” in Cubasis… just purchased the UR22 and have ios10… Have Steinberg replied/fixed the problem?

I purchased the UR22 mkII a week ago and have had many problems.

Initially, the unit would cause my Mac Mini, OS10.12.3 to crash. I solved this by downloading the most current OS X driver and UR22 firmware from Steinberg.

Unfortunately, the unit will still not work with my iPad, model ME393LL/A, IOS 10.2.1, and Apple camera kit. The UR22 unit inver gets past the blinking USB light stage, which I understand means the iPad does not recognize the unit. After reading this thread, I believe this problem will not be solved.

I’m going back to Guitar Center today to return it and get another model interface. I purchased this model specifically to use with both my Mac and iPad. Since it is incapable of doing this, I’m going to get a computer only interface and stick with my Line6 iOS interface.

I’m using Imaginando Ubridge with Ableton on my iPhone 6S and had serious issues with interference. As it turns out I have to set it to “Aeroplane mode” and then activate wifi. Problem solved!

Hello, there are no instructions for how to update the firmware for ipad. Can anyone help with this? As far as i understand the only way to run executable files through ipad is an app downloaded from the app store. I am experiencing the same crackling detuned bitty audio sound when using bias and garage band. I was able to workaround the problem in auria pro by changing the “core-audio mode” to multiroute.

Nevermind, i connected the ur22 to my pc and ran the firmware update on there, duh. Works fine with ipad now

I installed the firmware update and still on every single iPad daw, it sounds distorted and crunchy. The sound comes out of the headphone monitor just fine until I enable track monitoring in the daw then it just sounds terrible. This is very frustrating as I just got this interface, got it connected a few days ago, had the issue and installed the firmware, and nothing has changed.

Could there now be a problem with the iOS 11 update?