iPad Dorico Sounds

Thanks Nickie! That got Colossus Piano working with Dorico on my iPad! I really appreciate it. So now, how do I connect my Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2 controller keyboard to my iPad to play using the Colossus Piano sounds like I’ve seen in the videos?

I should mention it works great with my Yamaha P45 digital piano. However my Yamaha P45 is so basic and that’s probably why it works with no extra effort, however of course with the camera adapter of course for lightning.

So, how does one route the audio output from the iPad to, for example, the Focusrite 2i2? Via the earbud jack some how… 1/8 inch to 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch y-adapter to the Focsurite? My end goal is to play through my JBL 305 monitors.

Any orchestra’s better than the built in?

That depends on your iPad model. If it is one of the older ones with a Home button like mine, you connect the keyboard via a camera adapter, that has USB2-in plus Lightning-in and Lightning-out to power the keyboard. That’s how I connect my Komplete Kontrol A61. If it’s one of the newer models with face recognition I honestly don’t know.

As for audio out, I am not sure, but from videos I have seen it appears the 3.5mm connector is the way to go.

The best I have found so far is iSymphonic.
iSymphonic does have some nice sounds but the trouble is, they are fragmented and divided among an awful lot of patches, some of which even combine different instruments. There is not one single patch for each instrument comprising all playing techniques. F.ex. there’s a patch for slow strings, one for faster strings, one for pizzicato strings, one for sordino strings etc.
Be aware though that you have to buy quite a few of the packages to cover a full orchestra.

2 Likes

I already tried hooking my KK keyboard to the iPad as you suggested, being with the lightening camera adapter, but it doesn’t work. I’m guessing because maybe it requires the KK software?

What am I missing here?

I have the 2017 10.5 version of iPad with a home button and yes, I’m using the lightning camera adapter.

I’m guessing your A61 is not all that different regarding MIDI than my S88?

I wouldn’t think they are that different. Mine doesn’t need the KK software, it just works as a generic MIDI keyboard without all the bells and whistles. Maybe yours requires more power than the iPad charger can deliver?

I’m no expert on this, but I do remember many posts saying you have to connect your keyboard before you start Dorico…

Ok, I will try that. I don’t remember reading that, but it’s only been a few days since I first tried to integrate my iPad with my NI S88 controller.

I found yesterday that the camera adapter does not work with wired earpods, including the Apple lightning to 1/8" adapter. Annoying, you need BT for listening (or speakers)

Thanks Janus! That worked. I guess I was expecting some visual confirmation or change on my S88 which was not the case. Nothing changed on the displays on my S88, but it simply started sending MIDI signals to my iPad and the Colossus Piano sounds great with a few exceptions, probably due to the monitors I’m using and possibly the audio interface. The upper end keys (treble) sound phenomenal, but as I play more and more towards the bass end of things, it sounds more and more “thuddy”, “tinny” or electronic. I guess it’s just harder to model acoustic sounds for the low end? Maybe it’s my JBL 305 monitors frequency response? Or maybe it’s my cheap Focusrite 2i2 doesn’t have the best converters? Regardless of the issue, the Colossus Piano doesn’t sound as good as the demo video where the player is using an Arturia controller and an iPad.

Any ideas how I can improve the sound playback of the mids/lows of the Colossus Piano?
Different monitors? Different audio interface? Where I really start to notice the degradation of sound is around f2.

Hopefully Modartt will have Pianoteq 7 for iOS soon, which would be great (especially as it’s only a few MB)

1 Like

Have you read anything about this ? I am clearly waiting for such thing (I even asked for it in their forum…)

1 Like

No Marc, but surely they will? One would think they wouldn’t want to miss out on such an opportunity. It even runs on a Raspberry Pi, so simple enough to make an iOS version? (not that I know anything about that)

1 Like

An option that was not mentioned here yet is Modul Pro from Korg. As inApp purchase they offer some decent content, i.e. two Grand Pianos from Synthogy, the Ivory Mobile Grand and the Ivory Mobile American D, or the Orchestral Dreams from KaPro.

I am also hopeful that Pianoteq will become available in a version for iPad.
As well, now that both Dorico and Sibelius have functional iPad versions, I am hopeful that Arne Wallander is planning to make NotePerformer available to existing and new users of those apps on the iPad.

2 Likes

Regarding Noteperformer for iPad Dorico, I suspect you would get the same answer from Arne Wallander as we once got regarding Noteperformer for desktop Dorico v. 1 were you to ask him about it, namely: sorry, no expression maps, can’t be done.

Arne kindly replied to a note I sent him, saying that he wouldn’t rule it out entirely but that their focus is on improving the quality of their desktop software. Some time ago they did have IOS plug-ins but abandoned that for desktop software - so it would be quite a turnaround to get them back on IOS.

A shame because the Note Performer file size is perfect for an iPad and, unquestionably, it would give a huge lift to both the Dorico and Sibelius apps. Ah well… I’ll look forward to whatever they’re cooking up for OSX.

5 Likes