ircam solo instruments

Hi

I am in the middle of my 30 days Dorico free trial.

If I buy Dorico will it work with the ircam solo instruments ?
Is there any guide or documentation about how to get them to work together ?

Thanks

Peter

1 Like

check out this video: How to Whitelist VST2 Instruments for Use in Dorico | Play Mode in Dorico - YouTube
basically you need to add the UVI player in Dorico’s whitelist, it should work fine
the tricky thing is how to assign different sounds to specific notation, I have no idea how to do that
good luck
Florent

Expression Maps.

thanks Mark!
Peter, let us know how the ircam solo instruments are working with Dorico!

Only a small percentage of the Ircam solo instruments’ huge number of non standard articulations are controllable by Expression maps (key switching), and since we cannot (yet) define our own playing techniques in Dorico (including the inability to switch between midi channels) this kind of excersice will be a lot more fun in Cubase … :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I managed to get ircam-solo-instruments into the whitelist as advised above, and have managed to get some sounds playing back.
but I get the impression that at the moment I will need to split the music into lots of staves, each of which plays back a different technique.
I cannot yet see how to switch articulations during the playback.

I don’t have Cubase, so that is not an option.

From my trial of Dorico so far there are many things about it that I think are very good. I will probably buy it
at the next upgrade and then explore these issues further.

Hello, I’m sorry to revive this old conversation, but I own Ircam Solo Instruments 2 and Dorico Pro 4 and I compose a lot of avantgarde music with new playing techniques, so I was wondering if, with Dorico Pro 4, using the Ircam Solo Instruments 2 with Dorico is now at least a little bit easier and where could I find a practical guide to do it.

I think the same steps need to be taken. The UVI player is still VST2, so you’d need to white list it. That’s the easy part. The main task would be to create Expression Maps for the instruments so that the correct articulations are played back based on your score.

1 Like

The UVI Workstation as well as Falcon are vst3 for months now…

2 Likes

Yes, creating Expression Maps is the part that scares me. I wonder if it’s worth all the work, or if it would be easier to create a separate flux for performance (separated from the proper correct score) including “false” out-of-range notes to trigger key switches, or, as an alternative, distributing the different instrumental techniques to different staves routed to different MIDI channels in order to be played properly.
But if I could learn to create Expression Maps properly, I would prefer that. I don’t know where to learn, though, it seems complicated to me. It’s a pity, because I really prefer the sound of IRCAM Solo Instruments to that of Note Performer (which could be a decent alternative for only some of the techniques).

Personally I do everything manually i.e. create two instruments one for the score and one for playback, in the second one you can just enable IVR and route anything to any port or channel you wish. It’s quite easy and flexible once you get used to it…

1 Like

OR… Here are some youtube videos. Some are for older versions of Dorico, but I think the basic principals are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=creating+dorico+expression+maps

1 Like

Thank you very much, Bollen and wcreed!

Learning Expression Maps is like inflating a balloon. It’s very hard to start with, then it gets easier… finally it gets hard again to do sophisticated fine tuning!

The best place to learn is watch any of the video tutorials. Don’t worry about which particular VST they are using - the principles are the same. Then have a look at the default Halion HSSE string maps and see how they are constructed. If you know the keyswitches for the basic articulations in IRCAM instruments you could probably just copy and modify there for starters, then experiment adding more esoteric effects later.

1 Like

Thank you, Janus. I guess I’ll try seriously when I start to compose my next piece. I will hopefully learn to do it!

Yet the best time to create a modest test piece and mess around with it to get one’s bearings might be between major/important compositions. Some of us have found the best way to learn is to experiment when/if one has free time.

2 Likes

Daniel @dspreadbury , I read that UVI IRCAM Solo Instruments is MPE compliant. Shouldn’t this meant that it would also accept quarter tone messages from Dorico?

I’ve tried with the latest version of the UVI Workstation and the IRCAM instruments directly inserted in the VSTi rack in Dorico. The tonality system in the score is Equal Temperament (24-EDO). But it doesn’t work.

When switching to NotePerformer, it works again. Is there something more that MPE compliance, to have microtones played back?

Paolo

1 Like

Dorico doesn’t use MPE for microtonal playback. It uses VST3 note expression for HALion, or VST2.x detuning.

1 Like

I see. Somewhat similar, but different.

Paolo

I am trying to build expression map for IRCAM Solo Instruments. So far it goes pretty well, but I din’t succeed with everything.

1. If I understand correctly, UVI doesn’t support detuning and this is the only way to have microtonal playback by using microtonal accidentals, so is there any workaround to have microtonal playback? Apart from using separate UVI instation for microtonal notes. UVI has transposition in cents, so it is possible to tune the pitch, but there is no possibility to program MIDI CC automation to this parameter. Is it possible to program mod wheel? Or any other solution?

2. Is it possible to have artificial harmonic playback? So far I can do this by creating new playing technique, but can I achieve it with native harmonic feature?