Irritating "Track Arm" behaviour when using Score

Isn’t the correct word design-bug or bug-design. :slight_smile: Cubase has a gazillion places for us to tweak the operation to the ways that best suits each one of us. So, why not when it comes to something as important as Track Arming? This is a serious design-flaw (design-bug). Requested or not. It should obviously have been given an on/off setting in the preferences.

You say that we should start a new thread in “feature requests”. Why not save us the trouble of repeating ourselves and move this whole thread there (like you moderators often do)?

As I wasn’t the OP, I’m not sure it is my place to start a feature request, but the parameters should be simple. I would like a Preference that would mean that if a track is not record enabled by the user, it can’t be recorded on. That way neither the Score Editor or Key Editor issues would arise.

DG

A much simpler, more direct solution would be to give the Editor Windows the “Always On Top” option. That way, without having to switch preferences, the focus would go immediately to the intended window.
The only drawback I can anticipate, is that it must be much more obvious than currently when an AOT window doesn’t have focus (this is, to a certain extent, already true for the existing AOT windows… but I have no idea whether this is the domain of the application or of the operating system).

Yes, that would work, but I can see there being issues in having to click on the project window after opening the KE to change focus, particularly if people use a maximised KE window, or are using a small monitor, such as a laptop. There are also other feature requests for the KE, such as opening a new one automatically closes the old one, so maybe a total overhaul is needed on this front.

FWIW I think that the KE should have an “Always on Top” option anyway, but would still like to be able to choose whether or not a track becomes record enabled, and not have it decided for me by the software.

DG

+1 My sentiment exactly! This is a very important point. When the software decides to arm tracks on it’s own, the risk of accidentally recording over something increases drastically. This would never be tolerated on any hardware unit!

Yes, I know that Cubase’s recording is non-destructive. The process of restoring what the software messed up is still destructive to your workflow. The human operator should always be in control of the software, not the other way around!

I’m the OP. Sorry I’ve not been able to contribute much to this thread. I’m seriously busy at the moment, with some arrangements of Purcell theatre music. If somebody wants to pick this up and create an entry in Feature Requests, they are most welcome.

Best Regards
GrahaminChezzy

DG wrote:(I) would still like to be able to choose whether or not a track becomes record enabled, and not have it decided for me by the software.

+1 My sentiment exactly! This is a very important point. When the software decides to arm tracks on it’s own, the risk of accidentally recording over something increases drastically.

Amen, and +1

I would appreciate a setting to turn off automatic-Enable-Record all together, especially when focus is set in the Key Editor. Auto arming interferes with my workflow.

Cubase 7.5 64-bit

Another report has brought attention to the inconvenience of this (not just in the Score Editor, but in all the MIDI Editors, of course), when the Chord Track is set to “Use Monitored Tracks” and a MIDI Editor takes over the focus…

See this topic also… Steinberg Forums

Any update on this?

This “feature” or “bug” is getting in the way of a current project I’m working on right now. Basic repro -

1. set up an audio track and a MIDI track
  2. everything plays just fine until you open up the piano roll editor. Then only the MIDI plays. Click back on the main window and the audio immediately starts playing again.

My current task is to transcribe and recreate a song from a master audio file - so this kind of behavior is HIGHLY annoying. I’ve turned offf “Enable Record on Selected track” for both MIDI and Audio as well.

If updates on this?

Thanks,

Nate

It sounds like you have the “Solo Editor” function engaged.
Solo Editor.png
Make sure that this isn’t activated.

Yup, you were right! Figured it out about five minutes after posting. But had to wait for my posts to be approved and visible. Thanks!