Is a “piano reduction” tool available on Dorico 4 elements?

Is the compositional tool feature that can take music on regular instrument staves and create a “piano reduction” available on Dorico 4 elements? I watched the video regarding this which was narrated by Anthony Hughes but did not see the menu item under “paste special.” Does anyone know the answer to this?

According to the Input and Editing section at Compare the Versions of Dorico: Elements & Pro | Steinberg no, it’s not available in Elements.

OK thank you so much for your reply.

It’s just been pointed out to me elsewhere that this functionality does appear to exist in Elements.
(It’s greyed out in this screenshot only because I have the “About Dorico” dialog open.)

And I have also replied in the other thread where this question was asked – @rrgilley please try to avoid posting the same question more than once in different threads, you should normally get an answer quickly on this forum!

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/how-can-i-make-piano-grace-notes-faster-in-dorico-4/796265/14?u=lillie_harris

Hi dspreadbury,
Is the compositional tool feature that can take music on regular instrument staves and create a “piano reduction” available on Dorico 4 elements?

You can add a piano to your score and you should be able to use copy> paste special> reduce to accomplish this. I believe this is available to you in elements.

I tried to do that and saw how to do it on a video narrated by Anthony, but I did not see that choice in the menu.

Have you got musical material already on your clipboard, i.e. you’ve selected some notes and copied them? The reduction procedure requires music to be copied first before it can be reduced.

OK, that was very helpful I didn’t know that I had to do that first. Also I didn’t know that you had replied to my question so sorry. thank you so much Lillie!

Thank you so much Leo! I really appreciate that you double checked. My appreciation is enormous!

1 Like

So I finally got a chance to try the piano reduction tool and I copied 4 staves of a string quartet that I wanted to put into a piano reduction and after I copied it I went to edit, paste special, but there is no menu item that says reduce or explode? There are only four menu items and they are: move to staff above, move to staff below, duplicate to staff above, and duplicate to staff below. That is all that is on the menu and this is after copying the four string quartet staves. Is there a solution to this? I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to get to it sooner but I was visiting family at a different state.

That is bizarre. Reduce and Explode are the top two items on the paste special menu (for all versions of Dorico).

I don’t know why this exists?

What version of Dorico 4 are you running – I think this was added to Elements around 4.1.

This is the version I am using.

You should download the latest version (4.2.0.xxx) - it’s a free upgrade.

Ok, I will and hopefully the reduction tool will be there.

Eureka! It worked! Thank you so much Janus!