Is AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7 good enough

It’s been a while since I was in the pro audio game. To give you an idea the last system I had was a Compaq Presario ($500 in 2007) running Cubase sx4 and loads of plugins and vst instruments . I cleaned it up, put Windows 98 on it and it ran like a dream. Now I have an hp envy x360 m6 convertible laptop. I just installed Cubase 12 artist on with a ton plugins and vst instruments.
Here are my specs.
AMD FX-9800P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C
+8G 2.70 GHz

Processor

Installed RAM

8.00 GB (7.47 GB usable)

Device ID

AI BD8A89-55C5-4A22-BE 73-FB31BD6B61 36

ProductID

00325-96046-89163-AAOEM

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

System type
Pen and touch
I just ordered an 8 gb memory stick to upgrade my RAM to 16gb. My question to all you computer savvy people is this. Once I upgrade will I have enough to run Cubase Pro 12 Artist with a Focusrite 2i2 interface or do I absolutely need to go for a gaming laptop? Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Depends on what you want to do… and what plugins you wish to use.
The CPU is very old and inefficient so don´t expect it to handle never or more demanding plugins such as IR-Reverbs… or complex vst-instruments. (Omnisphere, Diva etc.)

16GB are a good start but don´t expect to be able to create even mid-sized templates and forget about orchestral stuff. Won´t work with todays vst-instruments.
You said that you´ve been into pro-audio. A lot can be done on old devices, I am sure.
My recommendation is to upgrade to either:
12th gen Intel processor (tho the mainboards are expensive)
or
Ryzen 7 3000 or 5000 series. The Mainboards are Cheap and DDR5 RAM is overkill for DAW use (from what I´ve heard - correct me if I am wrong).

Best

It’s definitely good enough to be worth trying before investing into new hardware!
Just make sure you install the latest drivers of everything, and most importantly, you remove unnecessary software that will waste your resources.
You should be fine for running similar workloads you had on your 2007 computer.

Thanks so much for the quick responses. I really appreciate it. I tend to run fairly vst heavy instruments but I always I always bounce to an audio track and then dump the instruments. I’m able to run it now but run in trouble when I open things like Waves SSL EV2 or CLA Mixhub. Brainworx plugs generally run smoothly. I haven’t started tracking vocals yet but I’m just a little concerned about latency bc I like to hear post fader with compression, EQ and verb bc it helps me sing stronger. I have looked at the Asus TUF Gaming A15 FAO56. Seems to have the specs I’m looking for but it’s about $850 and if I can avoid it I’d like to put my money into a better interface and a really nice hardware mic pre. So do you guys think its doable or am I better off just getting a new laptop? Thanks so much again!

Is there a less expensive option than the Asus that would work better then my existing laptop?