Is C8Pro allergic to projects born in previous versions?

Just wondering? C8 is proving to be a bit of a train wreck for me… with regularly occurring crashes and a growing list of other issues. I’ve really put it through it’s paces since its release BUT all the work I’ve been doing has been on older projects previously created in earlier versions… some dating back as far as 2008, others are more recent originating in version 7.5.x. Either way… it’s been a frustrating time and I do wonder if starting on something new from scratch in C8 would prove to be less troublesome :question:

What sort of problems are you experiencing-can you give a quick explanation?

I have been doing lite work on it, off and on for 3 weeks I guess. I have started opening up projects that were originally done in C6 (going back as far as '09-comparable to your dilemma), some that were originally C6, but then converted to C7, and in all of this I have not yet noticed any actual problems (a happy surprise)

My only real issue is that my experiences have proven the whole “ASIO Guard will incredibly improve your CPU Performance” schpeel to be a big joke. Like many people on the forum, I have seen my CPU Usage actually go up, not down. But with fine tuning to the settings I have also been able to get back to a workable baseline condition for CPU Usage-so even that has not yet been the deal-breaker I initially feared it would be.

A few days ago I opened up one of my biggest projects: well over 100 tracks (at least 2/3s of them audio), and fully expected results that would be so poor I’d get really angry and anxious. Well, as said before, even though CPU Usage was initially not very good, I did some fine tuning and experimentation and actually found a sweet spot to where I was actually able to get the file workable. So I’m figuring if that file is a go, I shouldn’t have a problem generally, since it was a bit bigger and more complex than I generally work with.

So, even though I’ve not yet actually recorded-but instead just mixed-I am cautiously optimistic about my working relationship with C8.

So, again, I’d be curious to know about some of the problems you’re having?

Well, without going into detail, a quick list off the top of my head:

• Spontaneous crashes while in the middle of mixing. I haven’t noticed a pattern… just seems quite random.
  • Often crashes when closing.
  • Crashes when doing Render In Place - not always, but often.
  • Graphical glitches - assorted strange anomalies with the appearance - e.g.fragments left on the screen, once had a double cursor! Also, channel editor sometimes shows the output strips oddly… one strip can be ultra-wide… on occasion.
  • Clicking on channel strip edit (E) VERY often opens the WRONG channel!
  • Metering is laggy and sometimes gets stuck - happens on various plugins and sometimes the master meter itself.
  • PC is crippled during project load. I used to be able to do other things while I waited for a large project to load, but now anything else running (e.g. web browser) freezes.

And there’;s more…

All this on an ultra stable 7.5.3 system. :imp:

Well, without going into detail, a quick list off the top of my head:

• Spontaneous crashes while in the middle of mixing. I haven’t noticed a pattern… just seems quite random.
  • Often crashes when closing.
  • Crashes when doing Render In Place - not always, but often.
  • Graphical glitches - assorted strange anomalies with the appearance - e.g.fragments left on the screen, once had a double cursor! Also, channel editor sometimes shows the output strips oddly… one strip can be ultra-wide… on occasion.
  • Clicking on channel strip edit (E) VERY often opens the WRONG channel!
  • Metering is laggy and sometimes gets stuck - happens on various plugins and sometimes the master meter itself.
  • PC is crippled during project load. I used to be able to do other things while I waited for a large project to load, but now anything else running (e.g. web browser) freezes.

And there’s more…

All this on an ultra stable 7.5.3 system. :imp:

Got to chime in here and echo sherz’s observations: Cubase Pro 8 is a train wreck.

I’ve seen surging that sherz is seeing, and then some: crashes on load; crashes at shutdown; odd GUI behaviours; screen-refresh lag; and, loss of functionalities (record, copy and paste, etc)

Worst of all, by far, I’ve had projects that I’ve opened and worked on in C8 suddenly become corrupt and un-openable.

Sure, third party plugins are probably the root cause of such issues, but they weren’t in 7.5 and below.

I think we’re dealing with a massive misstep by Steinberg here. To their credit, they’ve aimed high, but fire many of us, C8 is a failure of epic proportions.

Some of my C7.5 and earlier projects were not opening in C8 after I switched audio interface last week, from Komplete Audio 6 to Fireface UC.

I opened these projects one by one in C7.5 and reconfigured the external instruments, control room, and audio routings to reflect the change ,then saved the project. I was able to reopen these projects in C8 again after that, but I was not exactly happy about having to do the extra work!

C8 is often crashing when I’m closing the app, but so did C7.5.

I’m basically in the same boat as Ian… :frowning: 7.5 was solid

Have you all just got the one computer? ie: Can any of you run it on another computer to see if it runs ok on that one? Clean, no third party plugs.
I’d suspect a plug in and there seems to be an issue or two regarding Windows 7.
I have no trouble so far with old Projects, C8 runs fine and stable. I do just run the Steinberg FX plugs plus a couple of 3rd party VSTis along with what I find in Cubase.

From the descriptions there seems to be quite a graphical issue going on. (?)
Looking again first thing I’d do would be to download another copy of C8 and reinstall first. My first check would be to see if there’s been no disk / downloaded file corruption if Steinberg don’t get onto this immediately.

I reckon if everything was working fine with 7.5.3 and everything isn’t working fine with 8 that puts the problem firmly with 8…people are even having to do a workround to make the metronome work…yeah…the metronome :astonished:

Fair enough but you could still have a corrupt download or one of the download hubs could have a dodgy copy on it. We’ll see it’s definitely C8 when all users can’t use it. Do all you who have it work the same way with roughly the same things? Might narrow down a bug if you can work that out.

Seems like I’m gonna stay on 7.5.30, wait until Cubase 9 is out and then use the by the (hopefully) stable Cubase 8.5 :smiley:

Working with C8 all of yesterday: crashing regularly the *.dmp files are all video related. Also most of the instant crashes were caused by pressing Enter to play back a recording, which used midi controlled effects. Certain third-party plugins are no-go now… Not sure if I can mention them.