Is it possible to change the length of a note so that it moves up the following note?

I have a score open with one bar in 4/4 time with a quarter note on each beat. If I want to change the 1st note in the bar to a half note I would “cmd” click the half note button in the toolbar and it changes to a half note but the note doesn’t move the other notes up to make room for it. is there a way to do this?

This is what I have:

This is what I want:

Can anyone help me with this? Right now I have to select all the notes and move them up before I can lengthen any note in my score and it is a lot of extra work to have to do this each time. There must be a way to lengthen a note without manually moving everything up first. I have revised the manual but there is nothing that can help me. Anyone?

Hi,

In the Left Zone switch from the Symbols tab to the Inspector tab. Open the Length tab. Select the 1st note and set the Scale Legato to 100%.

Thank you. I have done what you said but now what? Here is a simple score where you can see I have made the settings you said:

When I change the highlighted 8th notes to quarter notes they overlap into the next note, the other notes don’t move up to accomodate the new note length
see here:

Hi,

Oh I see, you want to extend currently selected note length and move all following notes. This is not possible to do at once, sorry.

So you have to move up everything just to lengthen a note? Is there really no other way? What do you do when you have to make a change like that?

There is no function in the Score Editor that will allow to insert, lengthen or shorten a note and automatically move following notes accordingly to the length of that note.

However you can achieve that using a Macro.
Just to give you an idea …

Here is an example of Macro that would "ideally" work! (click to expand)

Just choose the note duration, set Length Quantize to “Quantize Link” in the toolbar, click the note to lengthen and use your defined Key Command assigned to this:

1 Like

Thank you, I have not created a Macro before, I will look this up.

I tried this and it kind of works except it moves everything up and it should leave the first note or chord where it is as that is the one I want to be longer. How can we fix this? When I use “select from cursor to end” it does not deselect the current selection so when you nudge right, it moves the initial chord up as well. Can this be deselected somehow?

Does this mean it cant be done?