Is it safe to save a Cubase 5 project in Cubase 9?

Before anyone comes down on me for such a simple question, I have read about the compatibility between 5 and 9 and projects, specifically that if you open a 5 project in 9 it may not be a one to one copy and that once you save it it 9 you cannot open it in 5 anymore.

However, my question is, rather, what if I open a 5 project in 9 and do a “save as” and rename it and make a bunch of changes to it…will the original (unchanged) 5 file still open and run in 5 unaffected?

For example, I would not delete any audio in the pool in 9, I would just edit the the project file differently…edit the audio, different plugins, etc…but no audio deletion (as both project file’s would share the same audio folder). Can any of those changes done in 9 adversely affect the original 5 project file?

I am in the process of migrating a lot of projects and am just trying to cover all my bases.

Thanks to any help you can give me!!

Bump…nobody has any idea??

However, my question is, rather, what if I open a 5 project in 9 and do a “save as” and rename it and make a bunch of changes to it…will the original (unchanged) 5 file still open and run in 5 unaffected?
Yes of course! Done this going from a lot of versions. And for safety every major edit gets a save as or incremental save (control alt S) just to be safe.

Thanks for your reply. My concern was that since both project files from 5 & 9 would be saved in the same folder and sharing the same audio folder that there might be some behind the scenes stuff going on if I make changes in 9 that would affect the original 5 file…

From a logical standpoint (surface level) I know my question might seem dumb…but sometime these programs do not behave logically…

And I have years of work I would be migrating…

Use the backup function.

You can even save a project to a new folder from 9.5 and it will never touch the original files at all. It is called Back up project. Untick keep current open.
Not dumb at all, better safe then sorry :slight_smile:

I thought about the “back up” option but that would cost me a lot of hard drive real estate I don’t have now. Or am I missing something? I know about the minimize files option but would not backing also copy the audio folder one to one?

Thank you both Vinark and Hurmpie for your replies.

Yes it takes up space for the audio files. But I have not had any issues with just using save as…You can even decide on a per project basis. maybe not all projects are audio file intensive.

Thanks for your reply. Good to know…makes life a little easier…10 years of projects will get a new paint job on 9 :wink:

Cheers