Is it too easy to record ideas nowadays?

It’s actually much easier with something like a Zoom 24 track. Or an 8 track, come to that.

Contard

Forgive the beer breath lololol

Too easy to hit the ‘Record’ button ? Not sure of this as, mostly, the garbage that I commit is done by first using Cubase ‘Retrospective record’ function.

I think that it’s another side of this thread, but well… Few months ago, I performed a nearly 20 minutes long piece with Alchemy and enjoyed so much doing so that I quickly used Cubase ‘RR’ function to retrieve it. Guess what ? I have listened to it again and again, hoping to find a way to to edit it, at least to make it sounds as the beginning of a reasonably structured piece (with bars, beats, and so on…). To no avail : I like it as it is and think it will stay so, an instant take reflecting a particular mood. And I am sure that I would never have obtained something like it by hitting, at first, the record button…

Beside this, there is still the anxiousness which is well-known as the ‘Page blanche’ syndrom by writers. How to start something from scratch and at which point do you think it is worth recording it ?

Seriously, I think it is not as easy as it seems. Hitting the red button means that you have something in mind and feel like it is worth enough to make something valuable (well, at least, for yourself and/or your closest fellows) about it. And you still have to perform it as accurately as you can, unless you have time to waste for editing a few minutes long crap…

I love you Tom xD

Looking at it another way: “Is it too easy to have ideas nowadays?”

Meaning, I s’pose my idea being is that the idea is king. If we’re luck enough to be spawning ideas then whether they’re committed to paper, tape or disc or noodled over with a guitar and bottle of wine is down to what suits you or me. (The option with the booze is mine.)

On the other hand maybe in the long run the idea is only a start; it’s perhaps how we exploite it and develop it is what counts. An “idea” is just serendipity; a finessed “song” takes smarts - and with DAWs: experience.

Good point. I should have added this is my article (soon to be in a book called Band:Smart). I simply listed ten recording myths and the 11th would be that making “great” music is easy - it’s not!

You can read the article here guys, would love your thoughts http://www.applebeam.com/blog/10-recording-studio-myths.htm

Typo (missing word) in the title of 8…

I guess you could call them myths. The main thing is that as studio time becomes more expensive, “artists” are wanting to spend less time getting it right. Plus, I’ve noticed that with the advent of rap/hip-hop, there are far fewer musicians involved. So, the comprehension of “music” is extremely limited. The “artists” actually think the engineers ARE the musicians. It’s very odd. Especially for old guys who are used to moody, cranky, drugged out, but incredibly talented musicians. I guess it takes a certain ability to get something good out of either group.

I wonder if the new cord track and A.I. cord selector will give birth to a whole new family of steinberg musicians. Like, will we be sitting in january listening to a progression in a song and be like “HA! That was made using the cord selector track thingie in Cubase 7!”

It just keeps getting easier and easier. I am beginning to wonder if those aliens in the Max Rebo Band were really playing.