Is Samson Q2U MIC compatible w. CUbase ai 11 VIA USB?

Hello fellow musicians. I can connect the Samsung with USB to the pc but not sure if optimal and can only select The generic Asio driver in Cubase ALWAYS present before the Samson Mic and Audio Interface was plugged (or my built in Yamaha DGX 670 but that is for xlr):

I know we musicians prefer XLR but it is tempting since Samson Q2U has a built in audio interface with 16 bit and 48 kHz and my Yamaha DGX670 has only 16 bit and 44,1 Kz.

I saw some guide for CUbase 11 Elements or so, but it did not look like my AI 11 route to adjusting things and spoke about VST connections: Tried something called VST remote (the only things I could find which was not VST instruments) but it also did not work and don’t really know whatfore (perhaps remote controle of a piano or so). ANyway in the PC’s SYstem/sound config. I have selected Q2U as the source and the output/headphones since there is a headphone outlet on it.

In CUbase I can only select the generic Asio driver. I know Q2U is a plug and play so perhaps not requiring any driver or? In that case I wonder if the generic driver is what works.

THe Samson Q2U is advertised as seamless integration with Garageband but we only use Windows and Garageband is only for Macs.

WIll the Samson mic work with Cubase vi USB or does it require something similar to Garageband? I use CUbase but perhaps my son can have it for Youtube videos/podcast along with an alternative DAW. I like to record singing with it though and he also sings so.

Any ideas???
Txs. :sweat_smile:

Hi,

Use ASIO4ALL to be able to record from the USB Nic and monitor via your built-in audio device.

1 Like

Hi Martin. I only have the generic USB driver and the Steinberg Yamaha USB Driver. NOt any ASIO4All. SO DO you mean I need to install that one? I guess so. (LOOK AT the conclusion below)

Q1) With regards to monitoring I only have the Pianos mixer to monitor prerecording and then Cubase. I don’t know what else I would have?? SOme hardware software? Well the Cubase software is the AI version and fit for the hardware/piano.

Q2. Wait…how can I record from the USB mic and use the Yamaha DGX 670’s audio interface at the same time? The Microphone is a USB hence is plugged into the PC as I have it.

Q3. I am investigating to record via the USB connection of the Samson mic. I already know how to record from the Piano’s audio interface by having the Samson mic connected to the Mic inlet of the DP with XLR to jack. I also speculated if it were possible to use the Piano’s Audio interface for things plugged into the pc but that seems logically a no go :wink: right?

((One never knows since there is USB with audio from pc to piano and vice versa but that would be stupid to have Samson convert the signal into digital via its built in Audio interface then the pc transfer the digital signal or convert it to audio then the pianos audio interface RETREATING that signal, then sending it back via USB to be recorded. Seems implausible. ))

Q4. My simple conclusion would be: MIc directly plugged to Audio interface (Either the pianos or the pcs: HOwever in the latter case I wished the microphones audio card to be the one). So I guess it is just a question of the driver probably, in order to get that to work. Or?

Txs

PS/CONCLUSION: OK SO I installed the ASIO4all driver and yes it works fine. Its latency is around 17 ms. SUddenly the latency of the generic asio driver went down from 40 ms to 20 ms: Perhaps the competition propelled it to such.

Q5. It dawns on me that with “built in Audio interface” you might have meant the one of the microphone, whereas I believed you were talking about the one of either the pc or as I talked about, the Piano’s??? SO what were you talking about?

Well I also talked about the microphones. SO 3 things. Easy to be confused if not knowing these things inside out.
I guess you folks like content so here it is. :woozy_face:

Hi,

The ASIO4ALL driver allowed you to glue multiple audio devices under one ASIO driver, which is then in use in Cubase. That’s the whole purpose and trick.

1 Like

Ok thank you :slight_smile.

DO you imply I should use the Asio4all driver, when accessing the Yamaha Audio card in the Dgx 670, as well?

And if mixing and not wanting to turn on the piano, is it then sufficient? I guess that once having been recorded, latency is not a big problem anymore or?

Isn’t the Audio Interface of the Q2U just as good as the Yamaha interface in the piano? It’s just digital 0s and 1s right.

If the answer is yes it means one can just as well record directly to the pc without the use of some external audio card (relatively to the microphone, such as that of the Yamaha piano).

Well, the latency was higher than that resulting in accessing the Steinberg yamaha USB audio interface so for some reason that seems to be better. Physically it would seem to be an advantage having such short distance as from the Samson Q2U microphone into the pc which makes me wonder how the latency can be shorter when using the Pianos AUdio card. But there may be several factors adding to the latency.

So does the latency depend on the driver and whether the programming is bloated or not?

Hi,

I would use the ASIO4ALL in case, of using the USB Mic. If you wouldn’t do so, the USB Mic has been used as the output device too in Cubase. But there is no output from the Mic (if there is no headphones jack), so you wouldn’t hear anything. Therefore you have to use 2 device, one for Input, another one for Output. And therefore you have to use ASIO4ALL.

Right.

The Latency is affected by the driver and by the whole system.

1 Like