Is there a way for *us* to find out why a particular plugin was blacklisted?

I just bought my first two (64-bit VST3) plug-ins from a particular developer.

Nuendo 10 and Cubase 10 immediately blacklisted both plug-ins after installation.

Both plug-ins were properly activated on my iLok, which is running on the most recent version of License Manager.

I momentarily re-activated both plug-ins in Cubase, confirmed that I could load each of them, and that they both worked (at least during the few minutes that I had them loaded), and then allowed them to be re-blacklisted.

The developer doesn’t know why their plug-ins were blacklisted.

The developer’s customer support rep doesn’t (yet) seem responsive to my suggestion that they ask Steinberg directly why their plug-ins are being blacklisted, even though I poited out that only Steinberg could pinpoint the issue (maybe there’s a recursive loop buried in the code somewhere, or an improper internal library call, or a reference to an out-of-date runtime . . . or maybe they were built using an out-of-date SDK, or they hook into the DAWs in some weird way) . . .

. . . or acknowledge that these are “false positives,” and “de-blacklist” the plug-ins.

So… is there a way that I can determine what it is that caused the Plug-in Sentinel to flag the plug-ins as being likely to cause “instability”? The VST Plugin Manager says only that the plug-ins were blacklisted, but it doesn’t say why.

Is there any specific information packed away somewhere — maybe in one of Cubase’s/Nuendo’s XML files — that I can copy and paste into an e-mail to the developer?

It would be nice, in general, to be able to not just know that particular 64-bit plug-ins were blacklisted, but to also know why they were.

Thanks!!!

Something / Anything?

N10 just blacklisted a slew of newly-installed plug-ins, including the most recent 64-bit updates to to XILS-lab’s XILS 4 and XILS 3 v2.0 synths . . . the previously-installed versions of both synths worked just fine.

It’s a little exasperating that no visible explanation is given for the blacklisting.

Is there something tucked away somewhere — in a .log or .xml file or someplace else — that explains why a particular plugin raised a particular red flag for Cubase/Nuendo?

@Martin.Jirsak . . . any ideas?

If so, please let me know where to look — then at least maybe I could do something about it, other than report each blacklisting to each developer and hope that they will all follow up diligently with Steinberg . . .

. . . or just re-activate each plugin “at my own risk,” after having been given no indication whatsoever of how great a risk each plugin actually presents, under what conditions, as far as causing “instability”…

Thanks!!

— Alan

Hi Alan

I’m seeing this more and more with cubase/nuendo when installing a new plug - sometimes they are marked as 32bit even though they are 64bit. I suspect the blacklisting method is a bit screwy. I tend to renable and get on with my life :slight_smile:

What I’m saying is it’s probably SB not the plug