Is there a way in Cubase to convert midi parts to different time signatures?

Is there a way in Cubase to convert midi parts to different time signatures?

So, say I have a piano or pad playing whole notes in 4/4 but I want to change the t/s to 6/8 - is there a way to change that midi without having to go into the midi and change note lengths/positions? If so, how please!

Thanks.

In the main Cubase window: Project/Add Track/Signature

That creates a Time Signature Track that you can change to your heart’s content…anyplace you like on the timeline.

It’s also possible add/change visual time signatures in the Score Editor.

You can also make Tempo Tracks. Same kind of thing. Manipulate tempo with ease.

You also get all kinds of features to stretch/shrink phrases in relative time to hit markers and stuff.
I.E. Set a marker on the time line where a horn beeps in synced video. Throw in some tracks, and have Cubase automatically change the tempo and all so something in the music happens in perfect sync with the horn-beep in the video. Fancy stuff to look up in the manual, but yeah, Cubase can do much to help you with all that stuff.

It’s time sig. in relation to my original post more than tempo… but re the above, where is this in the manual, please?

Related features are scattered about the docs, but I think this is the base of it all:
Resizing Events with the Object Selection Tool - Sizing Applies Time Stretch (steinberg.help)

Also see Marker Track (steinberg.help)

Then there are lots of short-cuts to do things with the keyboard rather than the mouse. You can build macro sets to do really repetitive things with a single key-combo, or menu selection.

I.E.
Click any part on the project. Tap p, and you’ll see that the locators snap to the part.
Tap l, and the cursor goes to the beginning of the selected part.
Tap shift 1, and if you have a marker track enabled the cursor snaps to the first marker.
Etc…

So, you can combine all that stuff to build macros to make it easy to time-shift things around according to your markers and cycles…even on really long projects where ‘selecting 130 bars of music with a mouse’ would be a major pain the butt.

Instead you’d use your key combos and stuff to set the locators relative to your ‘cues’ that you’ve marked up and do the time stretch/shrink. Etc…

If you need this sort of thing, do some searches on Youtube. People that do film scores and stuff can be found that demonstrate their personal work flows, templates, etc.

There is probably more, having to do with ‘tempo’ rather than ‘size shifting’; however, syncing to video tends to be done via ‘time-code’…so the ‘time stretching’ approach makes the most sense.

I’d suggest doing some youtube hunts for guys that do that kind of thing every day. They’ll be far more helpful than me. I just wanted to tip you in that the DAW provides tools for that sort of work.

If the entire piece changes time signature, then the Tempo Track is the place to do that (as @Brian_Roland already mentioned). (The Tempo Track contains both, tempo AND time signature changes.

If however, it’s just the one instrument playing a different time signature (or groove) than the rest of the composition, the Quantize Panel offers some interesting workflows.

I’m not seeing any time signature information in the Tempo Track Editor ??

See: Adding Time Signature Events in the Tempo Track Editor (steinberg.help)

Also…
There is a special ‘time signature’ track type. Create new track, and choose ‘signature’. On this special track you can enter project wide time signature changes.

Alternatively, I believe you can also enter time signatures via the Score Editor. Right now I cannot remember if time signatures done in the score editor are purely visual for the score only, or if they go a little deeper and show up in the grids of other editors.