Is there an actual manual? Or should I find a different iPad DAW?

It’s not worth my time to figure how to use Cubasis 2.2 by trial and error. The help utility has almost nothing in it. Is there an actual manual that has all functions listed or should I find another iPad solution? Thanks.

Hi vintagevibe,

Cubasis comes with an extensive in-app help that has descriptions for any app function, which you’ll find in the top menu to the right.

• Please open the in-app help
  • Pick the “Cubasis” image from the carousel view
  • To the left, pick a chapter of your interest
  • To the right, full descriptions will be displayed

Next to the in-app version, the help is available online as well at: Getting Started

Additionally, we have many tutorials available online:

Please let me know if this helps to solve your problem.

Best,
Lars

Gee, your time must be even more valuable than mine! And that means something :mrgreen:

Value can be measured in many ways. :wink:

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your response. I was unaware of the videos. I will investigate them and see if that helps. For the moment, can you point me to where in the help file it tells me how to show or hide the various instruments in a drum kit for editing? Thanks.

It’s just that while Cubasis does have its good share of bugs and shortcomings, I felt it to be pretty approachable in terms of learning curve and was surprised by your moaning about the manual :grimacing:

Hi instinctive,

I stand ready to accept that this is pilot error. Could you please show me where in the manual it explains the following:

How does Cubasis deal with multi-channel modules such as the Korg M1? Can I point multiple MIDI tracks to various MIDI channels in the M1 without launching a new instance for every MIDI channel?

Thanks!

Hi vintagevibe,

I don’t have the iPad here right now, but I’m almost sure you can just add up to 16 “regular” MIDI channels and point them to channel 1-16 of Korg M1. Note that multitimbrality is not possible (AFAIK) when the instrument is loaded via IAA, as IAA only supports one audio and MIDI stream.

So you have to launch M1 “normally” via the home screen, and then use virtual MIDI to get the notes/controllers to M1, and Audiobus to get the individual audio channels from M1 back into Cubasis (if you want to integrate its output right into your mix live).

(no warranty, don’t have Cubasis here right now).

Yeah that might not be explained in the manual. It’s a difficult grey area really between “belongs to Cubasis” and “General iOS Audio production strangeness”.

Thanks instinctive. I don’t see anything about multitimbral function in the manual. I would have expected a mention if just to say it’s not possible. I can’t even get the M1 to work.

I open Cubasis
Open Audiobus 2 and load a preset
I go back into Cubasis and I see a track has been created for each synth loaded in Audiobus

Problem: I can’t record or copy MIDI data on that track, apparently it’s not a MIDI track
So…

I add a MIDI track
Press the OUTPUT for that track which brings up a list of all the synths loaded by Audiobus
From that list I choose M1
I paste MIDI data on my new MIDI Track whose output is set to M1 and press play
The MIDI track plays a sound from Cubasis’s internal instrument Micro Sonic

This is a rabbit hole of trial and error. This is a basic function of a DAW. None of it is in the manual.
Therefore I will restate my premise. Since basic functions are not in the manual, I am forced to figure out how to use Cubasis by trial and error. I prefer A learning curve to be assisted by documentation so that I can get to making music at some point.

I do, however, appreciate your time and effort.

Dean

use the “no instrument” sound from the instrument/sound browser!

Hi vintagevibe,

Please give these steps a try:

• Launch Cubasis and create four MIDI tracks
  • Assign first MIDI track to iM1 (IAA)
  • Tap the instrument icon for MIDI track 2, 3 and 4 and choose “No instrument” for each track
  • Open the routing tab for MIDI track 2, 3 and 4, choose “iM1” as output and set the MIDI channel accordingly for each track

This setup allows me to trigger and record separate channels of iM1 in Cubasis.

However, due to Apple limitations of Inter-app audio you might run into some issues.
Please find them all listed right here: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=104551

Best,
Lars

Thanks Lars. That seems to work! Why can’t this stuff make it into the manual?

Thanks!

Thanks for the update, glad to hear the guide is helpful and seems to work.

While it is possible to use multi-timbral instruments via IAA, it comes with a compromise given the format’s limitations (e.g. when it comes to render audio of the MIDI tracks).

The in-app help of Cubasis includes descriptions for all main features of the app including external formats.
It is not possible to include descriptions for special cases which often depend on particular 3rd party instruments apps.
However and and where possible we try to explain these in the forum.

Additionally I’d suggest to get in touch with the app instrument manufacturers to come up with setup examples!

Best,
Lars

Hey Lars

I too have tried this setup,
but it appears that I am not able to access the
other channels of the iM1 Multi from my external controller kbd, only from the on-screen keyboard.
Is that correct?
From what I can tell, it seems that the iM1
is responding directly to the external keyboard,
via its Global MIDI channel.

Is there any way to use the external keyboard,
or are we waiting for Korg to offer an AU version?

Hey Lars

I too have tried this setup,
but it appears that I am not able to access the
other channels of the iM1 Multi from my external controller kbd, only from the on-screen keyboard.
Is that correct?
From what I can tell, it seems that the iM1
is responding directly to the external keyboard,
via its Global MIDI channel.

Is there any way to use the external keyboard,
or are we waiting for Korg to offer an AU version?