Is there any good midi controller with no integration issues with cubase?

This may sound like asking for too much - but I’m tired of solving issues with midi remote in cubase 13 pro. M-audio Oxygen pro mini - Pads and knobs and faders map or not - randomly. Is there any script which is tried by anyone?.. Hate to spend time solving tech issues rather than creative work. Is there any keyboard which is compact, less expensive & integrate easily with Cubase - IS NEKTAR impact LX25+ a good option? Has any one used it? Thank in advance…

Are your problems perhaps related to turning on MIDI devices after starting Cubase? If so this thread has a simple workaround.

1 Like

My Novation Launchkey MKIII works well with Cubase.

This is an interesting looking item. Their marketing says it is integrated with Cubase (and everything else). I was curious how that integration was implemented, so I asked the Copilot AI.

The Nektar Impact LX Mini, a 25-key USB MIDI controller, offers seamless integration with various digital audio workstations (DAWs), including Cubase. Let’s explore how the Nektar Impact LX Mini achieves this integration:

1. DAW Integration:

• The Nektar Impact LX Mini provides dedicated features and controls specifically designed for Cubase.
    • These features allow you to interact with Cubase in real-time, enhancing your workflow and creativity.
  2. Control Mechanism:

• The Nektar Impact LX Mini primarily uses the MIDI Remote method for integration with Cubase.
    • Here’s why:
      • MIDI Remote:
        • This method involves direct communication between the MIDI controller (Nektar Impact LX Mini) and Cubase via MIDI messages.
        • It allows you to map various controls (knobs, faders, buttons, pads) on the Nektar to specific functions within Cubase.
        • You can customize these mappings to suit your preferences and workflow.
        • The MIDI Remote method provides more flexibility and fine-tuning options compared to the older Generic Remote approach.
      • Generic Remote:
        • The Generic Remote method is an older and more generic way of integrating MIDI controllers with DAWs.
        • It relies on MIDI CC (Control Change) messages to control various parameters in the DAW.
        • While it can work with any MIDI controller, it lacks the specific optimizations and tailored features provided by MIDI Remote.
        • Nektar’s focus on MIDI Remote ensures a more seamless and efficient experience for Cubase users.
  3. Benefits of MIDI Remote:

• With MIDI Remote integration, you can:
      • Control transport functions (play, stop, record) directly from the Nektar.
      • Adjust instrument plugin parameters using the knobs.
      • Assign drum sounds to the pads.
      • Benefit from soft take-over, mix console toggles, and more.

In summary, the Nektar Impact LX Mini predominantly utilizes the MIDI Remote method to seamlessly integrate with Cubase, providing you with a powerful and intuitive music production experience ¹⁴.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 5/5/2024
(1) Nektar LX Mini Tutorial - Cubase DAW Integration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EHXhk-sXdQ.
(2) Impact LX Mini - Nektar Technology, Inc. https://nektartech.com/impact-lx-mini/.
(3) Nektar Impact LX and Cubase Integration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XSKbPb-52g.
(4) Nektar LX Mini Tutorial - Overview, Basics & Pad Maps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nh-GZIfjGo.
(5) Nektar Impact LX25+ 25-key Keyboard Controller | Sweetwater. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ImpactLX25P--nektar-impact-lx25-keyboard-controller.
(6) User Manual of Product 1: Nektar Impact LX25+ USB MIDI Keyboard … https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81JZLzUAoeL.pdf.
(7) Nektar Impact LX25+ 25 Key USB MIDI Controller | Long & McQuade. Nektar Impact LX25+ 25 Key USB MIDI Controller | Long & McQuade.

EDIT:

Just noticed an error in its description of Generic Remotes - they can use any MIDI messages not just cc messages.

I use the PreSonus FaderPort V2 (2018) as a single-fader DAW controller.
For recording MIDI, I find it makes more sense to use extra what fits as needed:
mini keyboard, 88 keys, drum pad board, etc.

There are times during production when I only need the PreSonus FaderPort.
Then I put the other parts aside.
I’ve found out that I can work much more creatively that way.

Also: The transport sections on all small midi keyboards are often useless junk… :innocent:

Hello @CKB @raino @Roland111
Thanks for your inputs & time…
I’m stuck with M-audio Oxygen Pro Mini - and may have to rephrase the query.
Is there a way in Midi Remote to define my midi controller as Mackie controller and may be edit (customize) the different buttons?
I used to do it with my NanoKontrol2 before they implemented a preset (which now works beautifully)
UPDATE - The faders, knobs & pads are now recognised.
Just need those transport buttons to show up (some how the DAW is getting the midi input - I can see that on the midi message window - but the buttons do not get added. I’ll try again - and let you know if I succeed. May be I can upload my script for fellow musicians…
In the meanwhile, appreciate - if you can share a script for the M-audio oxygen Pro mini.
Thanks a lot…
Kind regards,

Another happy customer. :slight_smile:

Transport is fine. M-Audio allows you to map key commands to buttons, so that definitely isn’t an issue there - unless some function isn’t bound and the DAW doesn’t allow you to edit its keyboard map.

What is usually useless junk are the Faders on most controllers and non-endless rotary knobs, as they typically jump parameters or use relative adjustment.

The MIDI Remote Scripts really need to work similarly to how Controllers work in Ableton Live or Bitwig Studio, where everything just seems to be flawless. Faders and Knobs pick-up flawlessly, and everything works as expected. Really nice for editing device parameters and mixer control.

I have both M-Audio and Novation Controllers (MK3) and I really only use the Transport Controls in Cubase. The Faders and Knobs are just not usable due to the parameter jumping. Using them just creates more work. I have taped across the faders to avoid them from moving, as moving them - even just mistakenly hitting them - will jump parameters.

If there isn’t a way to implement proper parameter pickup with these components, then I don’t even see the point in caring about the MIDI Remote System. Everything else worked fine on the old system using MCU/HUI Emulation… without having to grok JavaScript.

Or, as indicated above, you could simply get a controller that allowed setting key commands to the buttons, which makes them function like any generic keyboard device (so, they’re reliable and always work properly).

Well there are 3 different pick-up modes which seem to cover most (all?) situations that I can think of. Do none of them work for you? And if not what additional pick-up mode would you suggest be added. Can you describe the behavior you’d like to see.

I’ve tried changing in the script and it definitely does not work as expected.

Behavior I expect is the same that I see in Ableton or Bitwig, the parameter does not adjust until the fader or pot gets to the current parameter value.

Right now, they all either jump or move relatively. AFAICT, most of the stock MIDI Remote Scripts are set like this (I’ve looked in the files) and whatever edits I have done haven’t really worked to change it (at least not with Novation controllers).

The latter is less annoying than the former, since often you can catch it before your mixer fader jumps from +6db to Infinity when you move the controller fader.

Unless you tell us what this specifically means, no one can help you get there.

Personally it works exactly as expected here, it only jumps when it is set to do that.

Yes, one of the modes does exactly this. Not at Cubase to check, but I see @m.c chiming in

Am I even living, still?

I’m aware of all of this, and I’ve made the edits to change it. It’s not changing the behavior.

They still jump when pickup mode is changed in the script.

Talking about the Launchkey or the SL? My script for the SL MK3 works as expected in pickup mode, and I’m using it quite extensively in pair with an Arturia Keylab MK2 in the same mode. It would be pretty strange not to.

LaunchKey MK3

My suggestion is to open a new thread with the issue you’re dealing with pickup mode. It might be something with the settings of your controller(s).

Note that when changing a factory script you have to save it under the local sub-directory and at the same time disable the first one (in the public folder) otherwise you won’t see any change at all since the factory script will be reset. I’ve just checked the official launchkey script and it indeed doesn’t set the pickup mode (it sets scaled mode). But, again, I really think you should open a dedicated thread for the issue.

I had a controller where I inadvertently created a 2nd copy. Couldn’t figure out why none of the changes I was making would stick. Turned out I was editing one copy but actually using the other.

1 Like

Thanks again for your time and inputs @raino appreciate :innocent:
@Trensharo - about parameters jumping, I found this video immensely helpful.
The creator (One man & his songs) explains the knob assignments very clearly.
https://youtu.be/m1RiNfV4uog?si=arTutkJr1U6WDl5o at 14:17 he talks about relative & absolute values interpreted in midi remote.
May be this can be helpful for all of us.
Kind regards…

I moved the stock script out of the directory, created a backup, edited it, and moved the edited version to the stock location to avoid that happening. So, the DAW was using my edited script. It was the only one that existed for the controller. That’s less “prone to mistakes” than using a duplicate and having to disable one version or the other (when both are seen by the DAW).

You can open the script directory from within Cubase to find where those are housed.

It didn’t work, so I deleted the edited version and moved the original back (to reset back to “factory default”).

1 Like