Is there any way to directly transpose the chord symbols selected here up a 1/2 step to D major (not Ebb major?)

I’m stumped:

What I would PRESUME I could do is to hit shift-I and then “t2” or tmaj2" ot “t+2”. Strangely, when I hit “t2” it turns the Dbmaj7 into an Ebmin7 (not sure why). I’ve also tried shift-I and “tp” (as per the Dorico Tokens pdf) with various things to no avail. And when I DO get it to transpose, it’s to Ebb instead of D. I’ve also tried the actual transpose window but again no dice. Here’s the Dorico file (attached):
Dorico Example.zip (496 KB)
At the least, even if I end up initially with Ebb, it would be nice (as we’ve discussed and which is hopefully in the pipeline already) to be able to select the chord symbols and then hit the enharmonic-re-spelling key command that already exists for individual notes (of option plus or minus sign) to change the selected chord symbols to a more reasonable spelling, etc.

Thanks for any help!

• D.D.

Yes. Both methods give me the correct transposition, as long as I give them the correct instructions.

1. Shift+I taug1 Enter.
  2. If you’d used the calculator in the right hand side of the Transpose dialog it would have shown you this:

Excellent - much thanks!
D.D.

i’ve used that dialog before but what confuses me is the fact that i can’t apply the result at the current octave - that i can only accomplish an augmented transposition by choosing to transpose at an octave up or down (see screenshot) . i then have to do one more perfect octave transposition to get the notes into the correct position. i shouldn’t have to do this.

I believe you’re doing something incorrectly. Did you calculate the interval on the right side, then hit “Apply”? You can indeed transpose by an augmented or diminished unison without needing to shift the octave.

yes.

after hitting ‘reply’ without putting a number other than zero into the ‘number of octaves’ box, the ‘OK’ button remained inactive.

only after inputting a ‘1’ into that octaves box did the ‘OK’ button become available.

Not sure what’s amiss. Here’s how I do it:

ok… i can get the same result.

my confusion can be tied to the behavior of the transposition interface.

after calculating the interval (and hitting ‘apply’) the “OK” button remains in an inactive state (it doesn’t turn blue).

in order to get the “OK” button to register (i.e. it turns blue), one must put in a value in the “number of octaves” box (default is 'O;, so inputting a ‘1’ achieves the described result).

when that is done the “OK” button becomes blue (is registered). however, one can then replace the number in the ‘number of octaves’ box back to ‘O’ and obtain the desired result.

the funny thing is… after calculating the interval and even though the “OK” button appears inactive… it’s actually (wait for it…)… ACTIVE!!!

doesn’t this fly in the face of some interface convention?

Still… no, that’s not what it does for me. I don’t need to put anything in that box, I just press OK. I confess I’m at a loss to understand the issue.

computers… :open_mouth:

a sequential jpeg (top to bottom) of what i’m seeing:

But the point is that the “OK” doesn’t have to turn blue for you to click it. It works as-is.

Unless you’re pointing out that it should turn blue.

i am. it’s an interface convention. yes, once you’ve learned it - it’s learned but new to the dialog, having the ‘OK’ button turn blue when an action can be accomplished would save a lot of headaches.

need i point out this bit of satire (at the expense of Sibelius)?.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKx1wnXClcI

yes… there are multiple issues with Sibelius detailed in this video but it only takes a step down that road and before you know it… Dorico becomes Sibelius (shudder…)