Is this computer ok?

I’m about to buy a new computer and since I don’t know much about this topic it would be cool if some of you would run over the one I’m thinking about’s specs and check if it looks ok or not for a Cubase based DAW

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with Ultra Durable 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX 16 GB DDR3-1600 DualChannel

Hard drivve: 2 X Seagate 500GB SATA3 Fluid 6Gb/s 7200rpm

Graphix card nVidia GeForce GTX570 1280MB dedicated PCI-E (DirectX 11, CUDA, PhysX)

Power supply Raidmax RX-600AF supersilent 16dB (80+ Bronze certified)

raidmax power supplies are not good quality
the 570 video card is way overkill.
you are paying more $ than you need to for video unless you are doing video editing
does not sound like its coming from a daw builder
other system builders may be a better option

I agree with JCschild.

The power supply seems to be the weak point in this config and the 570 is only necessary if you want to play
games.

Maybe you should contact a different system builder.

thanks for the input. I forgot to mention the processor by the way which is this

Intel® Core™ i7-3770K 4x3.50GHz (Turbo 3.90GHz)’

The company I’m thinking about buying it from has a really good reputation here in Denmark and is considered one of the best when it comes to quality computers. Granted it’s not a daw builder, I don’t think we have that here unfortunanely

What if I upgrade the power supply to this

Seasonic X-400 X-Series 80+ GOLD Passive

and then downgrade the graphix card isn’t it looking pretty good then? I just checked the price on it and it’s about one third of the price of the computer! pretty shocking

If you can help me find a card on the list below that would do the DAW job (no gaming, no video) it would be really cool, thanks again

http://www.mm-vision.dk/produkter/visgruppe_old1.asp?gruppe=pcgrafik&menu=pc

no less than a 500W quality power supply 600 or better preferably

Hi Matz,

I’ve just completed my upgrade to

Asus P8Z77-V motherboard
16GB GSkill 1866 Quad DDR3 Ram - (needs motherboard to be clocked to 1866 in bios)
Corsair 600 PSU
OCZ agility 128g SSD SATA III OS drive
Seagate 2G SATA III data drive.

I’m amazed at how fast this CPU is considering the low cost.(My other option was the i7- 3930k)

My RME HDSP runs at 3.5ms (or less) with no clicks or droputs

The onboard graphics are fine but I am using a very old Gainward 8800GTS gaming videocard
mainly for the twin monitor outputs, saves me buying two new digital monitors.

I agree you shoud go with a 600w PSU at least, as the extra cost is very little.

Nuendo is running like a dream at the moment.

Good Luck

Fran

Hi Fran!
Thanks for the input, glad to hear you like the processor. Can’t wait to get it myself

But like Marcus said, maybe I am considering buying the computer the wrong place. If anyone can recommmend a desktop model with about the same specs as I mentioned in the beginning where Cubase runs great I’d be really interested in hearing it, maybe an HP or Compaq or another big brand like that

thanks for the link, but I’m from Denmark so it’s not gonna help me unfortunately.

But I think I’m gonna be ok anyway. I’ll keep the processor and mobo and ram and hard drives I mentioned and then upgrade the power supply to something really good and then downgrade the graphix card. Then I should have a really strong system

The question is which graphix card to go for, anyone knows if these two will be able to do the DAW job, or are they too low budget?

Nvidia GF GT 520 2GB DDR3

Nvidia GF GTX 550Ti 1GB DDR5

Hi

So i have a Asus Nvidia GTX260 in my pc and it does a good job was the cheapest card i could find and can easily run two screens.
I am also able to play “bigger” games with a nice resolutions.
So with the 520 you should have enough “power” for all your pleasures.

Greetz Bassbase

Hey Fran,

Are you by any chance using the legacy PCI version of your RME soundcard? And what is the lowest latency you can use without any sounding troubles?

Also, have you tested you PDC latency on your system with this tool?
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

All the best,
SLL

hej Steen, kan du løfte sløret for hvor du plejer at købe daw computer i DK?

Hej Mats,

Ja, jeg kikker gerne på Computersalg.dk først, da de ligger i køre afstand fra hvor jeg bor. Og på et 11000 kroners system, der spare jeg kun cirka 500 kr. ved at købe stumper forskellige steder fremfor at købe det hele samlet hos computersalg.dk

Now we better get back to English again, so that everyone can see what we’re talking about (nothing secret, just where to buy computer hardware parts in Denmark) :slight_smile:

SLL

ok, many thanks, SSL

I found another computer that looks interesting, if anyone can tell me what they think will give me the most stable system of these two it would be great

Intel Core i7 2600 / 3.4 GHz Processor - 8MB LGA1155
Cooler Master Hyper TX 3 processor-køler - 92mm 17-30dBA
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev. 1.0) - ATX LGA1155
16GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Kingston Hyper X (4x4GB)
Grafix Gigabyte GV R685OC-1GD - HD6850 1GB
Seagate 1 TB hard drive + 1 Seagate 500 GB
PSU Corsair Enthusiast series 650 W

VS

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard with Ultra Durable 4
Kingston HyperX 16 GB DDR3-1600 DualChannel
Hard drivve: 2 X Seagate 500GB SATA3 Fluid 6Gb/s 7200rpm
Graphix card nVidia GeForce GTX570 1280MB dedicated PCI-E (DirectX 11, CUDA, PhysX)
Power Seasonic 650 W

Hey SLL,

My RME is an old Multiface HDSP running into the Cardbus, (PCMCIA, I used to use it on laptops)
I have installed a PCIe Cardbus adapter on my PC and it works perfectly.
If I wasn’t running 64bit windows 7, I would still be using my PCI Digi9636/52

I have carried out the latency check and get

computer idle
current latency of 64-75
Absolute max of 98-105

Not sure what I’m measuring but hope it helps

cheers

Fran

The DPC latency values is pretty good. Good enough for running all you music stuff, and getting good performance. If this is values “out of the box” - meaning no optimization, it’s good :slight_smile:

Most people would be fine with these values. But if you really wants to push the ASIO performance to the max (90-100%) without any sounding problems, you probably first of all have to use a good driver (RME interface will work) + optimizing BIOS + windows. Drivers for hardware (gfx card, USB ports… could also be a problem), and all 3. part green line software should be removed.

Latency values below 20-30us is where I wanna go.

But again, if you’re satisfied with the performance, there is no need to good to all these extra optimizations. I’m just a perfectionist, that never can get things good enough :smiley:
But it does look like, that the Asus P8Z77-V xxxxx mobos is very good :slight_smile:

Thanks,
SLL

Just got P8Z77-V LX for 700 DKR and H60 Water-Cooler for 300 DKR (sale out at Komplett.dk)

Now I just wait for the right offer on a 3770K, 2700K, or 2600K :mrgreen: