Is this tempo manipulation possible?

Hello -

Sorry for the long post, I didn’t know how to shorten it and still get the details across …

I’m wondering if it is somehow possible to select a bunch of tempo point “flags” in the Time Warp window and move all of them over to the right in one procedure.

Here’s why I’m asking, what I’ve done so far:

1. I applied Time Warp to a roughly 100 bar MIDI piano track that was recorded live.
  2. I decided then that I wanted to introduce a pause in the 4th bar, so that the 5 bar would start a little later. So I selected all the notes in the project from the middle of the 4th bar to the end, and dragged them right a bit - sounds perfect, so far so good.
  3. Of course the bars no longer line up with the musical events from the 5th bar on, so they just need to be dragged to the right by the same amount that the musical notes were (right?). That’s where I run into problems: when (in the Time Warp window) I drag the 5th bar to the right to match the new note position, none of the bars later in the project shift to the right with it. So after I drag the 5th bar to the right, I need to drag the 6th bar, then the 7th bar … until the 100th bar, all one bar at a time.

So as I understand it now, because I introduced a pause in the 4th bar after Time Warping the project, I will have to adjust the bars from #5 onward one-by-one to make the rest of the project line up.

Is that really the case? I’m looking instead just do one click and drag, and all the bars will line up with the new positions of the notes. Is that possible?

Thanks for any help!

(I tried to use the “Process Tempo” and “Process Bars” in the Tempo editor to do this, but I couldn’t figure out how that could help me either …)

Hi,

myself, I would solve this totally different way. First, I would think, what the pause means from the musical point of view. Does it mean to extend the signature? Lets say, you play in 4/4, is this bar just 5/4 or 7/4? If yes, I would introduce 7/4 signature for this bar, and then go back to 4/4.

Or is it a ritardando? If yes, then I wouldn’t shift the MIDI Notes, and I would just change the tempo for this bar.

Thanks, I will do one of those two things instead!

Having said that, the question still stands … is it possible to adjust a tempo fall in Timewarp and have all subsequent flags (from Timewarp previously done) adjust with the changes? Right now they are “locked”-appearing, and don’t get adjusted at all.

Hi,

Yes, if the track is in the Linear Time base, not Musical.

I’m working fine now, thank you Martin. Your suggestions were helpful in my figuring out stuff I couldn’t before!

The steps I used to do in 7.5 weren’t working in 9, I think it may have been due to the change in the ruler display that was introduced in Cubase 8 or 8.5.

In any case, I can now change the length of a section in the middle of a song without messing up all the tempo point flags later in the song.

Thanks again!