Is this true?

In Again - how to force Cubase to use all cores? - #20 by Brian_Roland ChrisMGordon said…

Just out of curiosity, do we in fact know this? I’ve heard this alleged a lot and I have the same “gut” feel from talking to younger musicians, but do we have any actual information about which DAWs are growing or shrinking their user base and also which DAWs are preferred among different kinds of users? I compose music from scratch and switched from FL Studio to Cubase because Cubase was more “musically aware” (e.g., Cubase knows what chords are so it’s easier to do chord transpositions and stuff like that) and there seem to be more members of Cubase’s user-community who have formal musical training than FL Studio so I’ve met more composers here. But many of us composers are old so we’ll be de-composing pretty soon (8-)), so it would be nice if some new people came along.

But with all the investment I’ve had to make in climbing Cubase’s huge learning curve I worry when I hear young people tell me Cubase is a DAW for graybeards (like me!) and their fathers. What are the facts?

I have to admit, I was speaking out of my butt. Not sure what the user base is. Not sure if anybody has ever kept track of this. It may be difficult to ever get the answer, because I imagine that software companies like to keep their user base numbers guarded. So, if they do not reveal, we will never know. But Cubase’s user base is massive. A lot of Ableton users probably still have their Cubase accounts going, so who will ever know. But there are a few other DAWs doing very well right now too, like ProTools, Logic, Studio One, FL Studio, Bitwig, etc.