Is UAD crashing Cubase?/upgrade pc?

Hello
I use Cubase 7.5 with UAD Solo 2 and MOTU pci cards. I have a fairly fast cpu running Windows 7 pro.
Lately Cubase won’t open the music Ive been working on for months. I get the "try changing the name of the file hit ok to suppress further warnings " error.
If I open a new project with bare tracks it works.
If I upgrade with new pc, with Cubase 10 will it solve this problem? Will the pci cards work?
I realize Im asking a lot, but I thought maybe someone else has been in the boat
Thanks
Chuck

Hi,

Are there any DMP files available in the Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps folder, please? If yes, could you ZIP it and attach? We could hopefully find out, where is Cubase crashing.

Could you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

I just wanted to say that I use Windows 10 with 2 x UAD Duo cards. UAD plugins never crash for me (other plugins do crash for me though).

Let Cubase create the DMP files.

Thank you for your reply Martin, I’ll forward the crash folder this afternoon.
Thanks again

That’s good to know, I’ll have to upgrade eventually.
Thanks!

I would back up all your old files before opening any more of them, and especially before re-saving them.
You may be having hard drive or system problems, especially if you haven’t made any hardware changes lately. Windows 10 can be a wild card, sometimes it can update your drivers without your knowledge, and not always for the best.

Cubase 7.5.30.243 64bit CRASH FOLDER.zip (1.7 MB)
Thanks Martin, see attached crash folder.

Hi,

These crashes are in Cubase. It’s one the pattern, I can see in Cubase time to time.

Could you try to reinstall Cubase, please?

When I do the uninstall should I remove the older versions of Cubase before 7.5 too?
Also what does "It’s one the pattern " mean?
Thanks again!

Hi,

No, you don’t have to uninstall an older Cubase versions.

I mean, I can see this type of crash time to time in Cubase. But it’s not specific enough to be able to point to.

Thanks for your help. Will let you know how it goes.

It still crashes when opening an existing project. Would it matter if I uninstalled further back to version 5?

Hi,

I don’t think so. One Cubase installation shouldn’t affect the other one.

Could you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please? Or even (backup and) trash all your Cubase Preferences folders, please?

Cubase Preferences folders are:
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase X_64

I’ll try that today, thanks. I was so focused on the un-install, and reinstall. I overlooked trying Safe mode and preferences…

I opened in safe mode, deleted the program preferences, but the compositions I was working still crashes. I appreciate your help. Is there any other options?
Also do think they will still crash in Cubase 11?
Thanks

Hi,

Hard to say. Could you download Cubase 11 Trial, please? If it would crash in Cubase 11, could you attach a new *.crash files, please?

I’ll need to update to a new computer with windows 10 to try. I’ve just been so productive with the system I have.
Perhaps I can ask if someone in this forum if they can open it?

Hello again,
I have updated to a new computer with CB 11. The composition opens now.! Question, where do I find the various track and controller settings on the Win 7 computer ? And where should they reside in CB 11 on the new Win 10 computer? I’ve been really stuck.
Thank you for your time.
Chuck

Hi,

To transfer your Cubase settings from one computer to another one, use the Profile Manager in Cubase, please.

Thank you Martin.
Should I copy the Halion 6 samples too? The new Pc with with Cubase 11 can’t find them.
Many thanks