ISSUE - move all hitpoints to audio start

This is an issue has been complained about by many users over the years and has never been addressed. Now with Cubase 11 Pro I thought perhaps it had been. No. The Issue:
When recording audio, hitpoints are automatically created based on the grid. Switching off “enable Hitpoints” in preferences has no effect on this. The hitpoints are seldom at the audio start so when snapping the audio block to a grid line (Bar 5 beat 2) it snaps the first hitpoint to bar 5 beat 2. so copying and pasting becomes a nightmare with copies slightly out of sync with the track. What we need is a command to move first hitpoint in all selected audio to audio start.

1 Like

Hi,

This is not a bug and it’s not related to the Hitpoints.

In the Audio Event, there is the Snap Point marker. The Audio Event is snapped to the Grid by this Snap Point.

By default the Snap Point is shifted by 1 second from (after) the Audio Event start. You can define this time in the Preferences: Pre-Record time. Cubase is recording the incoming Audio steam to the Record Enabled tracks permanently. So if you hit the Record button a bit late, you can recover the signal.

So the Snap Point is the place, where did you really hit the Record button. Therefore Cubase snaps to this point, because it expects, this is the right one. If not, you can change the Snap Point manually.

1 Like

Martin,
Your response to @Tacet_1 is referring to the amount of retrospective recording time and could be confusing to some readers.

The snap point will predictably be at the point in which the recording began. The retrospective record time precedes that by a real time value as opposed to a bar beat value. As you point out, the default is 1 second.

But to say that “the snap point is SHIFTED by 1 second” is a misnomer.
If you start recording at bar 3 beat 1 that is where the snap will be even if you drag the event out to take advantage of retrospective recording.

I’m not sure why some users have this “move all S points to the beginning” complaint.

But now that I’ve read your reply I’m thinking that it might have something to do with sloppy handling of retrospective recording. (?)

I recently joined another thread discussing this same topic and made a video demonstrating how S points work.

Thank you Stevont and Martin.jirsak for taking the time to respond. I apologise for confusing hit point with snap point which has confused the matter. I appreciate we all work in different ways depending what we need to achieve. So must I do away with the option of retrospective record and always start recording on a beat line in my tempo grid to get the snap point at the start of the audio clip? Sorry, not practical for me. Recording live musicians you drop in on the fly all the time. All I require is when I cut or truncate an audio at a grid beat that it puts the snap point to the new audio start so copies can snap in sync to the grid. This is not possible in Cubase at the moment.

Here is another situation I am in all the time. If I receive a Cubase song from a client that I must tidy up, tune and copy and past before mixing, I have no control over how he has laid the audio. I need to be able to say, truncate a group of 12 vocal tracks at a bar or beat line, and then copy to the next chorus at the same point in the bar. 9 times out of ten the snap points don’t correspond to the new audio start so I have to shift all 12 snap points to the audio start. Does it not make sense to have one command to fix all selected tracks in one go? Is this possible? Am I missing something?

Hi,

What about to set the Pre-Record time to 0 in the Preferences? Would this solve all your issues?

Maybe for my own productions, yes. But its a pity to not have the option of the prerecord to fix a late drop-in or be able to change you pickup point after the fact. Also, when working on a client’s song I have no control over how he has set his defaults.

Hi,

You can Bounce Selection. It’s bounced without the Pre-Recorded time and the Snap Point is aligned with the Event Start.

Nope. The S point will be at the beginning of the recording unless you’re punching on the fly. When you punch on the fly the snap point will be on the next available Q value. Which is a good thing.

Any recordings done with locators or “punch-in” function will have the S at the very beginning of the recording.
Unless you drag out the retrospective recording. Then the S will remain in place and the event will start as far back as you drag it.

If you deploy retrospective recording and insist on the S being at the begining of the event, then you can expect to do a few more mouse clicks. Snap the retrospective content to the nearest Q and then move the S anchor.

If your client manually moved S points there is nothing you can do other than fix it.
Otherwise simply cutting events will create a new S at the cut.
So, highlight all 12 recordings, cut them at a Q, value (hopefully beat one of a Bar) and erase the residual events.

Look at the video I posted on the other thread. Link is earlier in this thread.

If you’re not getting S pints at the cut I’d like to see a video of the problem.

Thanks for the response. simply cutting the audio at a Q point will NOT always make the snap point at the audio start. This is my point. I know there are work arounds like cutting the audio and bouncing it. This can be a substantial amount of work. There may be many clicks from drop-ins that need to be fixed before doing the bounce.

Hi,

Do you have an example of this, please? The only example I can think of is, you cut the audio on the left side (before) the Snap point.

Now that you mention it, yes when the snap point isn’t at the clip start it is always to the right of the audio start. I guess it cant be to the left of it! I will see if I can find an example of this.

Sorry I took so long, was in the middle of a time consuming project. I hope you can open the video. Here is an example of what happens sometimes.

Hi,

On the Audio 02 track, I can see, the cut is on the left side from the Snap point. This is the reason. So Cubase snaps it to the Audio 02_01 event Snap point.

OK . So that is how Cubase works. But I’m sure a lot of people work in a similar way to the way I work, so surely it can’t be a major thing to address? Having to check every time you past something to see if its going where you intend it takes a ton of time and effort that should go into trying to be creative. This is the point I’m making and many other users have posted about this.

But all the snap points are to the left of the cut. Why is Audio 2 the the problem? If the cut is made with the grid set to bars and snap is on, the new first snap point should be at the audio start. Would this be a problem for any other way of working?

Hi,

It’s specified like this. If you cut the Audio event on the left side of the Snap point, the Snap point remains.

Yes, for everyone, who is working with the Snap points.

I’m back to update and revise my comments on this topic and to confirm that the Snap anomaly being described here does in-fact exist.

I was recently setting up a mastering session for songs which I mixed myself in Cubase 10.5 when I noticed that the mixes were SNAPPING TO UNEXPECTED VALUES.

See the full comment and video on this thread: