Issue(s) with external editor on reference tracks in montage

Sure enough doesn’t work.

An ‘update all peak files’ or ‘update selected peak files’ button would be cool.
I could create an alias to take me to the cache folder where they are, but not sure WL would like me pulling them out in an active montage

Are you saying the peak info doesn’t update after you make an external RX edit and move back to WaveLab?

Maybe I’m thinking of another DAW but I feel like I’ve seen a “Rebuild Peaks” option in WaveLab.

Are you saying the peak info doesn’t update after you make an external RX edit and move back to WaveLab?

Yes. If I edit in RX and then save in RX the edits are not updated in the current montage (because WL still refers to the original peak file it created when it first opened the audio file)

I just need to find a way to make it rebuild the peak file…

Hmm. As you can see here, I just did a test with a dramatic edit (turning the audio all the way down via RX and when I jump back to WaveLab, you can see the waveform is updated as there is a big chunk of audio missing because it was turned all the way down in RX.

Maybe @PG1 can weigh in here:

And the same is true if I did it on a Reference Track:

Hi Justin.

Sure I can do that if I use the external editor, which is what i think you did there.

I’m seeing if I can do the repairs direct on the actual audio file in RX standalone, then save the file with the repairs in RX and switch back to WL and have it update the peak file to reflect the changes to the audiofile in the montage.

This would avoid the problem of having little clips with clip FX feeding my analogue chain, and would also allow me to fix small issues in long continuous audio where I might not want to make a whole new file

Ah, I get it now. I’m sure PG can weigh in but I think the only way right now is to close and open the montage which is of course not ideal.

I wish I could help but unless it’s a crazy plosive that is going to trigger some compression/limiting, I tend to clean up post-capture and pre- final limiting because I think in any DAW, splitting up Clips/Items with heavy CPU loads can cause an issue. It happens to me in REAPER too when I’ve tried it too.

Yes, exactly, as per our earlier discussion that is what i am trying to avoid, whilst still being able to do repairs pre analogue chain

Thanks Justin

P