Issue with Grace Notes Playback Created in Score Editor

Hi,

Q1. How can I get the grace notes to play a very short note? Currently it plays 1/16th which obviously not short. I’d like to get it around 1/64th. I tried different kinds of stems, note values, with and without slash in the note properties, it seems doesn’t work! They ways I could do this are as follows:

1. In key editor: by setting the quantize to 1/64 and resizing and shifting notes
  2. Score Editor: Changing Quantize note to 64 and moving the notes, and them putting the staff property back to its original!

Either way, placing grace note is very tedious. Is that possible to do that without going to Key editor or quantizing? I looked in the preferences, I couldn’t find anything about grace notes duration/length.

Q2.

To create the “Acciaccatura” and “Appoggiatura” without using nudge end left/right?

Any help would be appreciate it.

CS

CS

Hi,

I’m sorry, I don’t know a answers to your questions.

I just wonder, why you are not using Dorico for scoring, please?

The grace notes can be as short as you wish:

1- Use the proper Quantize and Display Quantize values in the Score Editor (1/64),
2- enter the note that is supposed to be a grace note, Acciaccatura or Appoggiatura, with the desired length
3- Insert the next note
4- Then convert to grace note.
It’s that simple.

You don’t need Key Editor.
And, you don’t necessarily need Dorico, at least not for that! (Martin? :smiley: )

Hi,

I just realised chikitin has a lots of questions from the Scoring area now on the forum. I just wanted to point to to the fact, that Dorico is much more powerful in scoring, if your goal is to get a nice looking music sheet (more over quickly).

Martin,

I am a trying to compose and focus on my composition get a project done asap. I think cubase is very capable of doing composition. To me composition ( as Cubase is made for) is note about loading samples and record audio and using automated arpeggiators, etc. It is more like painting art that the notes and their articulations is like brush type and applications and paint in painting to me. Score editor is very helpful as all composers are trained to use that and it encapsulates many information about the staff and other instrument in a several staves without getting dizzy looking at the key editor. Key editor is an excellent tool and I am using it. People are not asking questions about Score editor and there is little tutorial online how to do things. I am sure there are many others who have the same questions. When a feature is made available by a company, of course users/clients would like to have it enhanced.

I have used Encore around 1999 and Finale and have made good money engraving for full symphony orchestra. Working with typesetting program will require me to import the MIDI/MusicXML into cubase, do automatons and articulations just to start. I have CC121 and other gears that work with Cubase ( my external sound modules), etc.

I do think Cubase can do a better job. I am still learning but stuff like above not clearly explained and one should experiment as I am doing now.

Thank you all for you patience.

CS

I just want to say-

The Cubase Score Editor is a beautiful thing- there’s nothing like it in the world. For any composer who is willing to get their head around the ‘gestalt’ of it and its quirks (matter of opinion there), it’s a super flexible tool, and fast- no little delays before playback starts, (Dorico, Finale) 110% :wink: integration with the other midi editors, including shared selections, Logical Editor, chord tools, key awareness (via chord track).

Maybe not the tool for a music engraving publishing house or a copyist maybe, but for writing music, as mad as it’s made me in the past, I keep coming back to it. Also, do note that while the Score Editor doesn’t get a lot of new features, it is being fully maintained.

Folks,

This is they way I am doing it now for the first one, for the second and third … more instances of grace note, I guess copy paste is easier!

To enter 1/8 note with a grace note:

1. Set quantize to link to ⅛, the first one will be grace note. Later you fix the none grace/normal note (1 KC)
  2. For Acciaccatura ( before beat) put ⅛ note before the desired beat
    For Appoggiatura ( falling on the beat) place ⅛ note right on the beat ( 2 mouse clicks)
  3. Select the first note, hold Cmd and click on 1/64 on the extended palette to change its value ( 2 mouse click, 1 key press)
  4. Select the second note you want to snap it to the preceding note: Use KC for move left 7 times to snap it. ( 8 key press, assuming note selection is done by left arrow key). I think if we were in the key editor we could do this by snapping to event or something.

This takes 4 mouse clicks and 10 key commands ( ignoring multiple fingers used!)

Can we do it faster?

Maybe we can have the Key editor open in the lower zone and utilize the logic editor to do this in the Key Editor in the lower zone more effienctly? Can’t we? we just need to convert the short note in score editor to Grace that can be done using KC of course.

Thank you guys!

Isn’t this normal? Scoring being a huge part of Cubase.
Though, as long as there is no dedicated Score Editor section in the forum (something I regret), I understand that these posts, and words like grace note, acciaccatura or anacrusis etc. sounds somewhat weird in this forum and certainly are all Greek to a lot of people here.

I didn’t choose The Score Editor because it’s already in the bundle and “free”, but I chose to work with it after using Encore, Finale and Sibelius in the past. Even if Dorico is a wonderful program with great potential and probably the future, right now I think that the Score Editor is still the best tool for the same reasons mentioned by -steve- and chikitin.

Excellent suggestion. I second that.

Hi,

Yes, it is totally OK. Don’t get me wrong please, I’m not against it at all. Feel free to ask scoring topics in Cubase, please. Of course there are reasons why to use Score Editor in Cubase and you want to get your work done quickly. But that was my point… What is the goal, what is the task, what is your work? If your main focus is scoring (what I expected, when I saw several scoring-oriented post from CS), you can be much, much faster in Dorico.

Thanks for understanding. :wink:

Thanks for clarifying Martin, indeed what I understood was: if you’re interested in scoring that much, then the right choice is Dorico.

Personaly my goal is composing and scoring to picture. So everything begins in the Score Editor and then naturally the rest of Cubase (audio/video).
Thus I need to produce professional quality scores and also export the best audio from it.
That’s why integrated Scoring in Cubase is such a great value.

But you’re well positioned to know that Martin, and I know you know :slight_smile: