Issue with Lyrics.

Hi,

I’m working on a half Latin, half English lyric in a SATB score. By tradition, the Latin lyrics are italicised.
I work through the score in ‘Full’ mode and it all works as expected.

However, when I change to say display just the Tenor line, non of the Latin lyrics keep their italicisation! Everything is un-italicised.

I change back to ‘Full’ mode and the Latin lyrics are italicised. Strange behaviour.
As I sing Tenor, I have to go through all the Tenor parts again and apply the appropriate italicisation. Not a ‘show stopper’, just makes for extra work.

Anybody else notice that ‘feature’?

Thanks.

How are you applying the italicisation? Dorico has different Font Styles for Lyrics and Translations. You could use the Translation style for the Latin lyrics, and the standard Lyrics for the English ones.

Could italicisation be a property that could be propagated?

OzMazAU,
can you please explain how you work through the score? How do you apply italics to the latin text?

I select the lyrics and slide the italic slider in the lower panel.

You should find that inputting your lyrics as translation (press alt-down arrow when the lyrics popover is invoked) will automatically show it in italics.
The “proper” way should be to input your English text as lyrics and latin text as translation.

Just a question (as I am not in front of my computer): can lyrics and translated lyrics live in the same line?

Thanks ML, I’ll give it a try.

I must say not obvious, but then again Dorico is not Word.

Gave it a try and yes it works. However, (there’s always a however :slight_smile: ) The italicised line now sits below the English text, sort of like a sub-script in Word. In the music I am working from all lines are the same height.
Any comments on that?

Gee, just realised, I have a lot of editing to do. :frowning:

What happens if you italicise in the way you’ve already done so (using the slider), and then (with lyrics selected) Propagate Properties? Does it carry through to the Tenor part layout?

What happens if you italicise in the way you’ve already done so (using the slider), and then (with lyrics selected) Propagate Properties? Does it carry through to the Tenor part layout?

Leo I’ve tried this in a score of mine; it didn’t work (and I think I was using the propagate properties function correctly!). This does seem to be something which could be improved. Mixing italics with roman type is useful not just for macaronic texts but also e.g. showing editorial text placement in early music editions, and no doubt in other situations.

Michael

I’ve checked this out and setting the ‘Italic’ property for a lyric does not affect another layout by default, but the property can certainly be propagated to other layouts via Edit > Propagate Properties.

If you want alternative Roman and Italic lyrics, just switch between the Verse and the Chorus. The Chorus lyrics are automatically in Italics, and unlike the Translation lyrics, they are on the same line. (Unless you have multiple verses…)

Screen Shot.png