Issues: Select Events Under Cursor very erratic

Hello everyone,

I am trying to use macros in Cubase with very limited success. Namely, what I’m doing is creating a sort of magnetic timeline using Snap: Shuffle and by removing the head or tail of a clip, the clip either moves to the left until it meets another clip or any following clips move left until they meet that clip (if you’ve ever worked in Final Cut Pro X… exactly this). For editing podcasts and such, it is an absolute time saver, or it should be if it would work consistently.

The reason I need to set this up is that using Cut Head and Cut Tail commands ignore shuffle snapping and the clips remain in place.

I can use Cut Time, of course, however, that requires me selecting a region with range tool, which is a bit redundant if I’ve already split the clip somewhere and just need to top the head or tail off, plus this requires the precision of selecting the clip up to the edge, not past it or before it (at current I cannot find a “snap pointer to clip edge” option.

To set up the macro, I followed @GregOndo 's instructions in the following Google Hangout:

but the execution is very spotty. It will work sometimes, other times it won’t… and I’ve noticed that when it stops working, the “Events Under Cursor” option under the Selection menu is greyed out:
Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 03.08.46

The weird thing is that I can’t pinpoint the steps to recreate it or have it work consistently. I thought maybe I didn’t have the track selected… but i can click off the track to deselect and then click it to select again… sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Any advice appreciated!

2019 Macbook Pro 16", 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Audient iD22

Here’s a GIF showing the behaviour. What’s happeningL

1. Track is selected, I trigger macro (using a shortcut), and it splits the clip and moves the cursor left… but it doesn’t then select the event and delete it.
  2. I select the clip and then repeat the action. It works, because the event is already pre-selected.
  3. I now repeat the procedure without selecting the clip first and suddenly, select events under cursor is working correctly again.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif

It will now work for a few times and then will no longer work without first pre-selecting the clip.