It's just flat out elegant!

In all the focus I’ve been putting into learning Dorico, figuring out how to use its various features, and digesting the assorted (but relatively few compared to the early days of the competition) workarounds needed to get past bugs or as-yet-missing or incomplete functionality, I really hadn’t noticed one of the most compelling reasons to use it—the output is simply gorgeous.

In trying to “fix” a decades-old concert band transcription of a popular symphony movement that I’m currently conducting, I ended up starting over and rewriting it from scratch. In nearing the end of the project (deadlines are deadlines in any language), I printed out the full score on tabloid paper for proofing. I took it upstairs from my office in the basement to spread it out on the kitchen table to mark up the last needed changes, and as I set it down, I was suddenly stunned by how beautiful it was.

Absolutely untouched in Engrave Mode, it’s already more perfectly lined up and beautifully spaced than any fully edited score I have ever been able to produce in Finale or Sibelius. I really can’t get over it.

And this matters for more than just aesthetic reasons. We all know that players take our music more seriously if it looks professional, so they put more effort into bringing it to life. And in the editing effort itself, I find that it’s SO much easier to deal with a score that looks perfectly symmetrical; it’s just easier to “get around” in it. I also took a glance at the parts in the computer, and again, I found very little to do in the engraving mode; the two primary things are creating workable page turns and retrieving errant rehearsal marks, which still overreact a bit in trying to avoid collisions.

So for any other new users out there (which, by definition, includes all of us) who are caught up in the details of learning how to use it and are dealing with the occasional and inevitable frustration of learning a new, complex (but highly capable) application, my advice to all of us is to “keep our eyes on the ball” — Dorico’s output is already superb, and it’s only going to get stronger.

It is in fact flat-out elegant.

This is really great to hear, Lew. Thanks for taking the time to write this!

My pleasure, Daniel.

And thanks to you and your team for the vision and hard work it takes to build something that’s truly exceptional.

This is exactly why I loooooove Dorico. And I edit every bit of music I have to sing in it, it makes my learning easier. Already some hundreds of pages written in Dorico, and it is not a year old !

I too am loving the beautiful results. I find Dorico very flexible in its own unique way that makes certain projects very fun. Here’s a beautiful recreation of an 1845 score that I was able to do in about 90 minutes. This emulates the 1845 edition where the choral was indented under Johann Herzog’s composition. I have no idea how I would have achieved this look in my previous program… All I know is I’m thrilled with the results. I’m sharing here since the music itself is in the public domain. I find this quite lovely to look at.