Izotope RX8 and Cubase 10.5

What is the recommended technique to send (link?) audio files from Cubase to RX for processing? And, of course, to return the file back into Cubase. And, preferrably, at the same position in the timeline.

I read that RX does not have ARA2. I also read that some DAWs have a setting that, at least, facilitates transferring files between the two programs.

Any ideas? Was there an effective process with earlier RX versions and Cubase? Thanks!

You can use the RX processors as individual VST plugins.

Really? Interesting. I thought I saw a notice (maybe on the Izotope website) indicating that the program was a separate, stand-alone affair. As such, the trick is to develop a way to easily transfer files between RX and your DAW.

If individual processes from RX can be (“extracted” or separated from the mothership) and inserted into Cubase as separate plugins, well then that’s something to consider. I suppose this only applies to the Advanced version, which I think is the case with Ozone. If so, and I opt for the standard version, the issue of transferring files between the two applications remains.

System requirements

Operating Systems
Mac: OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra) - macOS 10.15 (Catalina)
PC: Win 8 & Win 10

Plugin Formats
AU, AAX, VST2, VST3. All plug-in formats are 64-bit only.

Supported Hosts
Pro Tools 12 – 2020, Logic Pro X, Live 9.7 - 10, Cubase 9.5 – 10.5, Nuendo 11, FL Studio 20, Studio One 4 - 5, REAPER 6, Audition CC, Premiere Pro CC

from the Izotope Shop

Not all of the RX functions are available as VSTs. But the standard package should have the main ones as VST. See the version comparison:

Bizarrely, according to their own table as linked quite a few of those you might want to be available as plugins aren’t…Guitar De-Noise for a start. Shame.

To Use RX app and bring back to Cubase, Use RX Connect pluggin in DOP (Direct Offline Processing), edit in RX and there is a send back to Cubase button when you’re done.

Thanks to all for helping out, and a special thanks to OnBeat !

Thanks, that’s useful. Cheers.

I always use RX in stand-alone mode. I have never tried the plugs. I suppose the processing power needed for the guitar de-noise causes unreliable latency. But it would certainly be useful to be apply that function to a short clip or region from within the DAW.

N.B. as an aside, SpectraLayers can do that type of noise-print denoising as an ARA2 process from inside of Cubase …

Heh, I only have RX8 Elements at the moment and only use it in plug-in mode, mainly just the de-click and de-clip…both these already add major latency so I tend to check they work for the track involved then either Render straight away or ignore the problem until mix-down and then turn the plugin back on. I can’t say I have major issues with guitar noise that I can’t solve by other means anyway and I’m always a bit wary of these things making me a bit lazy with getting the recording as good as it can be to start off with.

Still I shall give it a trial at some point and will be very interested in the Wow and Flutter as I have quite a bit of material on old 1/4 inch tape that I’d like to revisit.

Thanks! I’ve just achieved more with RX7 in the past hour than I have in the past year, and it’s entirely due to reading this post. I only wish I’d read it a year ago.

Me too, but that’s only in RX 8 Advanced ($$$$$ …) :cry:

I’m happy to hear that, I discover many gems from fellow users across the forums as well. Cheers :smiley:

If they added ARA support I would probably done a update. Now I will wait until they release a Arm version.

Indeed…need to get all my tapes ready, a couple of weeks free and then the trial version. :smiley:

I like the Izotope products but their pricing seems like a real mess. Maybe they figure their primary market these days is radio stations, movie productions etc. RX Advanced is priced like a “go away, you are wasting my time” for the typical home DAW users.

As far as I can tell, they don’t have any kind of reasonable upgrade price for existing users of RX. I obtained my copy of RX as part of the music production bundle. That pricing made decent sense. But the problem with that is that bundle is driven by Ozone and Neutron, and they are 6 months offset from RX releases. In other words, the current music production bundle includes RX7. RX8 probably won’t be available for another 6 months until the next versions of Ozone and Neutron come out. It all seems really goofy.

There is a note on izotope’s support page to say v8.01 will address this.

I have a workaround as a wavelab pro 10 / RX8 advanced owner. If you have both audio editors, you can use the Audio > Edit in Wavelab feature & then set RX8 as Wavelab’s external audio editor.

Changes in RX save to the wavelab audio & then just click on “trigger Cubase/Nuendo update” in the wavelab command bar.

It has an annoying extra step, but works as intended without having to use the buggy RX connect / DOP combo. It would be handy if Cubase had a selectable external editor feature instead of being hard coded to wavelab… but that’s an alternative solution for wavelab / RX users.

OK I had a bit of time to test various methods & using Wavelab as a “middleman” seems to work best.

The RX8 connect seems to work for me in direct offline processing but if I want to go back & make further changes I have to make the processing permanent on the first RX connect process first.

Using RX connect also doesn’t change the length of audio events to match your audio edits if you crop or delete parts in RX.

However if you open in wavelab first, then use RX8 as an external editor, any trim changes sent back from wavelab carry over to the audio event length in Cubase’s arrangement window