Jam Origin Midi Guitar and Cubase 10.5

This is the ‘problem’:

I use Cubase 10.5 Pro. Next to it I sometimes use Cubase 8.5 Pro.

I installed a trial version of Jam Origin Midi Guitar. If I remember well, I opened Midi Guitar twice: as well in 10.5 as in 8.5, and had it search for VSTs. Cubase crashed.
Fortunately, after re-opening both Steinbergs still work, but with every new instrument (Steinberg or other) that I add to a project in 10.5 I get an error message. When I open Cubase 8.5 everything works as normal.

When, in 10.5, I save a file that had these error messages, there are no problems and no messages. Everything works fine until I add another instrument.

I updated 10.5, thinking that it might solve the appearance of the annoying messages. Result is, I get one message more.

Hope someone has a few tips. I’ve also contacted Steinberg.

K.Vervest
Eindhoven
Netherlands

Hi,

Could you attach a crash/dmp file, please?

Mac: macOS Console utility > User Reports folder or Crash Reports in macOS 10.15 (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).
Win: Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

Thanks for your response!
I’ve added a few items.

Cubase 10.5.20.179 64bit 2020.10.12 11.32.07.801.dmp (557 KB)

Hi,

Could you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

Reported to Steinberg CAN-32039

Hi,
Same thing happened in Safe Mode.
My 8.5 still works perfectly.
What if I de-install 10.5 and re-install it?

Karel

Hi,

Yes, you can try to install Cubase once again.

Please make sure you:

• Download the Full Installer.
  • Unpack the ZIP file and install from the unzipped folder.
  • Install from the setup.exe.
  • Install as administrator.
  • Install to the system (C) drive.

Thans for your help!
You think If I deinstall and reinstall I will lose all my installed VSTs?

I also contacted Steinberg and they came up faster than expected with a solution. Wonderful!
What do you think of the following:

Dear Mr Vervest
The crash dump does not show a specif Cubase’s problem.
Please initialise the program preferences by performing these steps:

• Close all programs.
  • Open the ‘Run’ command prompt by pressing the Windows logo key + R simultaneously.
  • In the command line of the ‘Run’ window, enter this path: %appdata%/Steinberg
  • Locate the folder which is named the same as your Steinberg program, for example 'Cubase 10.5_64’.
  • Rename it (for example to "x_Cubase 10.5_64”) in order to hide it.
  • Important: If you find folders of previous program versions, make sure to hide or remove them too.

Next time you start the program, a new folder with fresh preferences and default settings will be created - which hopefully fixes the problem you’ve experienced.

Preferences that you have grown accustomed to and that have taken a lot of time to configure - the key commands (Key Commands.xml) for instance - can be copied from the inactive folder to the newly created active preferences folder at a later point.

More details on the preferences can be found here:

If the procedure above will not help to solve the problem, you ought to send me the System Information file by e-mail, please. You will find the System Information file at the following path Windows Start Menu → and writing “System Information” word into “Cortana” field.

Afterwards, you double click on the System Information icon that shall appear and selecting the main menu File → Saving as System Information File (*.NFO)

Hi,

No, you will not lose your installed VSTs.

This would trash the preferences, so you would get Cubase factory settings. It’s similar to the Cubase Safe Start Mode, but Cubase Safe Start Mode doesn’t delete some (a few) files. The process described by Steinberg support would make the complete Cubase reset to the factory settings.

Btw, you are using different user account here on the forum.

I’ll think about it …
Two user accounts … see what I can do …

Dear Martin,

Thanks for your good and clear advice. Last week I spent much time ‘playing’ in Cubase 10.5 and I must say that the irritation about the error messages gets less and less. I’ve decided to do nothing for the time being. The moment more things start to go wrong or irritation returns, I can still perform the operation … which, I must confess, frightens me a bit.

Still, thank you for your kind help. I’ll send this same message to Steinberg’s helpdesk. They too, were a great help.

Best wishes,
Karel Vervest

I have a similar problem: I use Jam Origin Guitar Midi 2 on Cubase 10.5 and it works well, but when I try to export the files to wave,mp3 etc the program stops working and I have to force the closing. All the programs ands plug-ins are original . It happens only when I use Jam Origin Guitar Midi 2.
Hope you can guess what the problem is.
Thanks
Ulrich