Jamstix 3, Revisited

So I finally recorded a tune using Jamstix 3. It was a rough cut for my band to give them an idea of what I was thinking at the time. I’m not going to lie: I’m impressed with it.

There are some issues in the drum line though, and I’m not sure if it’s because of the tweaks I made to the AI parameters. Most notably the snare drums misses some beats entirely. It could be due to a bug in the system where the JS samples are not found for some reason (even though they are on disk) but, like I said, it could be due to a few tweaks I made to the “brain.”

In any case, for situations where you don’t have a specific drum line in mind already this seems to be quite a viable option for realistic, i.e. human sounding, drums.

Yes, I think it’s a great piece of software, although I does need quite a bit of tweaking to get realistic results. I personally export the midi song file into my DAW and then make my amendments from there. It sounds even better with thrid party drum vsti’s. I have a track with convincing drum (imo) track posted in Made by Cubase called Masquerader made with Superior Drummer…

I’ve been using the 3.5 64-bit beta for the last few months, but have owned JS since version 1. I too use it with a 3rd party drums VSTi - in my case Steve Slate SSD4. For me JS does 95% of the work… but it takes time to get to know all the controls, the different drummers styles etc etc. And while you can make manual edits within JS itself I too find it much easier to export to a MIDI track and make final adjustments there. For me JS teamed up with a good drum VSTi is the next best thing to a real live drummer… and actually, in some ways better! (depending on the capabilities and personality of the real drummer of course!). JS does what its told and has no ego :laughing:

There are some issues in the drum line though, and I’m not sure if it’s because of the tweaks I made to the AI parameters. Most notably the snare drums misses some beats entirely.

This issue has been around for a while. It seems happen when you make adjustments during playback - i.e. it forces a ‘recompose’ of the part and a side-effect seems to be dropped notes. :confused: I usually find that by stopping playback, then selecting the affected bar, hitting the ‘compose’ button and then hitting playing forces a clean recompose of the bar/part. Alternatively manually inserting missing hits is another option.

All in all JS would easily be my favourite and most used VSTi. Most people don’t realise its not a real drummer… including real drummers. :sunglasses:

Ooooh! I didn’t know this. I will keep this in mind for the next time. :smiley:

Still no mac version :frowning:

And to be honest, they have been ‘working on it’ for so long, I believe that there probably never will be. And the lame a$$ed work-arounds involving a windows VM, or parallels, or whatever, documented on their forum are a complete waste of time.

I have long since moved on, and just tried to learn to think like a drummer and create my own drum parts for demos (including getting an e-kit and trying to play it)

And then use a real drummer with proper skills to record the final article.