Jazz Ornaments Fonts

Hi,

Is there a way to edit the symbols or define the font for the four Jazz Ornaments under the ‘Remove’ button in the Ornaments Panel? Fonts from NorFonts including BopMusic have an alternate “brassFlip” glyph (U+E5E1) in place of the “brassJazzTurn” glyph (U+E5E4).

Adding to my confusion is that “shake” is name in common usage for the SMuFL “brassJazzTurn” symbol and the Dorico Popover for the symbol is in fact “shake” and not “jazzturn” or something similar.

Is 'jazz turn" used instead of “shake” outside of the US and is there a reason Dorico and SMuFL “disagree” in the naming?

Many thanks!

Josh

Jazz Ornaments - Bravura

Jazz Ornaments - BopMusic

It’s not currently easy to change that symbol, I’m afraid, since it’s (arguably incorrectly) categorised as a playing technique in the library, so you can’t edit it in the Music Symbols dialog. This is something we can change in future, so I’ve made a note to do that.

Honestly I can’t remember why there’s a disconnect between the name of the glyph when I added it to SMuFL years ago and the name we chose when we later added it to Dorico. I imagine one of our beta testers requested the change, but I’m afraid I don’t remember!

Thanks for the speedy reply Daniel :slight_smile:

That makes sense and it does seem like making those four symbols Ornaments instead of Playing Techniques would simplify the user experience. I’ll see if I can reach out to the font designer re the shake symbol.

Is the “shake” vs. “jazz turn” terminology something SMuFL would consider changing to better align with common usage?

Many thanks!

JosT

We can change the human-readable glyph descriptions for glyphs in SMuFL, but not the canonical names.

I see. It doesn’t matter to me, but seems to have created some confusion with the font designer as they’ve used a “flip” or “jazz turn” instead of a “shake”.

Appreciate your time.

Bravura shows a Shake symbol, BopMusic shows a Turn… I don’t know how that happened when I designed my fonts…
CleanShot 2022-11-27 at 08.57.41@2x

CleanShot 2022-11-27 at 09.02.48@2x

Shake is Tremblement in french which is SMuFL code point: U+E56E

In Jazz arranging, it is common to encounter a Turn (also called a ‘Flip’) symbols like:
CleanShot 2022-11-27 at 09.05.15@2x
Instead of the common engraved Turn like:
CleanShot 2022-11-27 at 09.06.23@2x

By the way you can still customise that in Engrave Mode/ Music Symbols…

I will need to update my NorFonts. Thanks for reporting that @joshlevy
When updated you’ll get an email notification. Sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

That would be great. This is one of those little niggling items that is just not right with Dorico. If your font can resolve the issue, beautiful.
And just for the record, I think the placement as you show it is exactly what people expect in jazz charts. I hope Dorico would place the flip in that position by default.

1 Like