JL Cooper Nuage Panner issues

Hi, new to posting. I just upgraded to the Nuage, and picked up the JL Cooper panner. All of my work is post work, television to IMAX films. My question is does anyone else feel that the JL Cooper panner for Nuage is totally inadequate for post mixing?

First off, you need to push the button at the top to activate the panner, BUT DON’T TOUCH THE REST OF IT!!! You’ll end up messing with the divergence of all axis!! What if I just want to do a pan??? One sound from left to right!! Seems pretty basic right? But if you push the button, then grab the panner your divergence will be all messed up. I’ve tried to just put my finger on the button and steer my sfx from that, but the response of Nuendo recording my pan moves is flaky. I ended up doing the panning with the mouse, like I did 10 yrs ago!!!

JL Cooper-the button on the top is only for activating the divergence, not the panner. The panner should always be active to pan!! Please fix. Also the panner should follow the enabled track. So I can see the pan happening and grab it! If the SFX is in front right, and the panner is resting at rear left, when I grab it I get a node at rear left!! It needs to move to match the position of the Nuendo panning automation!!

Having said all that, I need a solution. Can anyone help? Any other panners work well with Nuage and N7? I have a few large projects coming up, and need to fix this.

Thanks,

Yup. Me.
Totaly useless.
I have spoken with the JL Cooper people a number of times, and it looks like they couldn’t care less.

BUT DON’T TOUCH THE REST OF IT!!! You’ll end up messing with the divergence of all axis!!

Their solution is to suspend all these parameters in the DAW. (?)

What if I just want to do a pan??? One sound from left to right!!

The “direction” buttons at the top should latch, just like it works in the internal panner.

Also the panner should follow the enabled track.

That is working fine here.

So I can see the pan happening and grab it! If the SFX is in front right, and the panner is resting at rear left, when I grab it I get a node at rear left!! It needs to move to match the position of the Nuendo panning automation!!

Check out the manual. There is a button for that. “Fine” if I am not mistaking. (Not in front of my system now)

Having said all that, I need a solution.

Use the Nuage screen on the Master section. Nothing faster.

In their defense, they (JL Cooper) need to make it work with midi messages, they don’t have access to an SDK which gives them “deep” access to Nuendo. But the issues we have are hardware issues, these have nothing to do with poor communication protocols.

Fredo

Hmmmmm, that’s quite a pity to hear while I’m planning on purchasing a JL Cooper Surround Panner…
Do you think it’s a wise to purchase a JL Cooper Eclipse PX or JL Cooper Axos Panner?
I’m most of the time on Nuendo, but sometimes on ProTools and Logic…I read that the Axos “works” on all 3 DAW’s while the Eclipse PX only works on Nuendo and Logic?

Any buying advice welcome.
Thanks!

Niek/ Amsterdam.

Nick,

Do me a favor and contact JL Cooper, saying that you want to purchase the Nuendo Panner, but are holding off because of the issues. And if they plan to fix them. I have no problems with it that you quote me from this forum.
I know it will get me into trouble, but this thing is so damn useless …

Fredo

Hi Nick

I just bought an AXOS panner a while ago, but it doesn’t work very well with Nuendo yet. 2 problems:

• When I do a pan in automation mode, with automation set to return to center
    position, the AXOS panner reacts very slow when I release the panner. It takes 2 seconds to return to center position.

• Also when I do an pan in automation mode and hold the panner at, for example,
    far right, the automation jumps back to center position after a few seconds.
    Thouch mode is activated and my fingers are on the panner.

These 2 problems are confirmed by JL Cooper, but they say the SDK Yamaha provides does not have a way to inform Nuendo that the Joystick has been released.

I contacted Steinberg/Yamaha about this and they created an internal issue report to deal with this.
They said that it hopefully will be adressed in one of the upcoming maintenance updates.

For now the AXOS is unusable for me.

Best, Alan