Jumping between two takes? From one track to another?

I’m not sure how best to describe this but…

I have two separate tracks - two different takes of the same guitar part. I would like to jump out from one take into the other take, where there is a mistake in one of the takes and, subsequently, jump back into the first take if required.

What is this process called, and how do I do it?

Thank you.
NJ

Hi nathonjonesmus1c,

the process is called comping and there is a tool for that. If you have recorded your takes on different lanes of the same track, all you have to do is click on “Show Lanes” and use the comping tool. Page 87 of the Operation Manual: “Working with tracks and lanes” (Cubase and Cubase Artist only)

Regards

Thank you Luis.

I’ve not recorded on different “lanes” of the same track, no, I’ve just created a new track for each take. Is that bad practice? I assumed that recording on to the same track as the original take would overwrite what I had just recorded.

I’m using Cubase Elements 7 so my manual doesn’t seem to have that on page 87. I have, however, found a tutorial on YouTube (Audio Recording and Processing Part I | Advanced Features in Cubase 7 - YouTube) so I’ll go and investigate that.

Thank you for clarifying the terminology. At least I know what I’m searching for now! :slight_smile:

Regards
NJ

How do I view lanes?

I’ve tried doing the cycle recording on a track and have done 3 or 4 takes but it just looks like a standard track and only plays the last version I’ve recorded. I know it’s probably somewhere obvious but would appreciate the pointer as I can’t see the wood for the trees at this stage.

Thank you.
NJ

Hi nathonjonesmus1c,

unfortunately, no lanes in Cubase Elements but only on Artist and Cubase.

Regards

As the OP says, I’m also curious about whether audio recorded on different tracks can be merged into different lanes of the same track.

Anyone?

Hi TKW,

if you have a version of Cubase that supports the lanes feature, then yes, you can just drag & drop audio events from different tracks into the lanes of another track.

Regards

A work around is to expand the tracks to see where you want to edit then highlight both tracks. The scissor tool should then be able to cut the tracks where you want and you can the mute the parts you don’t want. You should be able to cut both tracks at the same time if they are both highlighted. It is a bit more fiddly than using lanes. You will probably want to turn off the snap. (Part quantise >I<)

That is what I used to do before lanes came into Cubase.

I hope that helps?

Really? :frowning: Is there a way to combine two different tracks of audio?
I’m using Cubase LE AI Elements 7 64bit to be precise.

I have an acoustic guitar part that lasts the entire song (6 minutes) but playing it perfectly, for the entire track, isn’t an easy task for someone of my musical ability. What would you recommend I do in this instance? Can I, for example, quickly fade out one track (take) and then fade in another track (take)?

Is it possible to upgrade from Elements to Artist and if so what is the cost?

Thank you Luis.
NJ

See above! You beat me to it.

Thanks silhouette. Where I make the cut, is it possible to do a fade in/fade out so that it doesn’t sound too chopped?
Or is the best approach to choose somewhere where the guitar part is close to silent?

Appreciate the advice. Thank you.
NJ

If you expand the edit points - zoom in. You should be able to select a zero crossing point. If elements has it, turn on Snap to Zero Crossing.

Click on part and there should be a tab at the top, either end of the part, to pull down to fade.

If elements does not have that try this.

Audio>Process>Fade Out

Thanks again. Couple of questions…

What is a zero crossing point and, once established, how do I turn on Snap to Zero Crossing?

Really appreciate it.
NJ

Check out p.227 of the Operation Manual for a description of “Snap to Zero Crossing”.

You might also want to read about “Fades and crossfades”, starting on p.118.

While you are at it, read some of the other valuable information found within said Manual :wink: .

A zero crossing point is where the waveform crosses over the zero level line.

Run your cursor along the tools at the top and the help text will tell you. Wavy line with a vertical intersect.

Just remember learning to use a DAW is a long and frustrating process. We have all done it.

Scab P is right. You do need to consult the manual and make use of You Tube and any other online help. There is a lot of info about about.