Just discovered localised undo, and its AMAZING.

How long has localised undo been in Cubase? Because i just discovered it by accident on my Cubase Pro 9.0.2 and it blew my mind!!

Scenario: Worked up midi drums on a track. Then recorded bass, guitars, and some midi keys.
Then I double clicked my drums midi to edit it further, and accidentally hit ctrl-z and watched my last action in that editor from 30 minutes prior undo itself!!! (selected all notes and lower velocity)…

I’m speechless!! Game changing stuff, Thank you Steinberg!!

(Going to request in the other forum for an option to Lock the Primary Object Selection tool so that it does NOT cycle through ‘Sizing Moves Contents’ and “Sizing applies time-stretch” whenever I press the ‘1’ key. I would pay money just to get that done!

Yes, this a great feature. Not sure exactly how long it has existed but it’s been years.

Bought my first copy of Cubase in 1998, only saw it today… :unamused:

I wonder if it was 8.5 that came in with. Maybe 8.

Yea cool feature.

wow!

It’s been there quite a long time. Definitely one of those features where I’ve gotten so used to it I don’t even remember it if I work in another DAW at first, but when I actually start doing something there’s pretty soon that moment of “oh… so this is why I use Cubase instead”.

I like it sometimes, and hate it sometimes … when I accidentally roll back edits on a selected track when I’m trying to roll back edits on the whole project and screws the undo order.

e…g Seems to happen like htis. I make 10 edits on a string track. Go to woodwind track and make one edit. Go back to string track and make one edit before deciding that both it and the edit to the woodwind track are wrong and then press Ctrl+Z twice … it undoes 2 string edits but not the woodwind track.

Is it a preference somewhere? I’d like the option.

Cheers,
dbh

Thee is a macro which will do this for you. I’m not in front of Cubase right now but that particular macro was devised years ago when the annoying 3-way Select tool first appeared in Nuendo. It’s fairly simple to write the macro, IIRC it involves Select Tool>Last tool.

Good luck

It would be nice to have that. (There’s no “Last Tool” command. ) Please do post it when you can.

Edit:
Answer:

Macro:
Zoom tool <–almost any tool will do
Select tool

Thanks ErikG.

Anyone? Thanks!

I believe the Ctrl + Z undo is a Windows function, just like Ctrl + C (copy), Ctrl + V (paste) and Ctrl + X (cut).

Enjoy.

I only use Ctrl + Z for undo and I experience the localised undo results.

Steinberg has always played fast and loose with Windows standards. I still have a problem with using Alt + Drag as a modifier to Copy rather than Ctrl. You can theoretically change this but then you lose the Ctrl + action to turn off the snap to grid (which you can’t change). Even after several years it happens daily that I think I’m copying something and I’m not.

dbh

What is localised undo?

Where is this DOCUMENTED? Is this in the PDF?

Localised undo is where the undo is only relevant to the selected track. So if you are working on two midi tracks for example, piano and bass. You might make edits to the piano track and then move to bass and make an edit there. If you then switch to the piano track and hit Ctrl+Z for undo it will undo the last change to the Piano track as that’s the selected track, not the edit to the Bass that was made afterwards.

I don’t know if it’s documented. For me it’s behaviour I observed after switching to Cubase 7 3-4 years ago. I tried looking in the manual and googling previously as there are times when it annoys me, but didn’t see anything related to it. When I saw the post I chimed in as it’s something that I’ve wondered about too.

dbh

1 Like

thanks for the explanation dbh

I might be the most inobservant and self-deluded Cubase user in history, but I could have sworn my CTRL-Z worked in a strictly track-**in**dependent fashion.

For example, if I made changes in five tracks over the past 15 minutes, ping-ponging back and forth between them, the history window (CTRL-H) would show all the changes made in chronological order -
and it would show that applying CTRL-Z would delete the changes in chronological order (most recent change being the first to be deleted) - irrespective of which track the next most recent change was made in.

Everybody else’s CTRL-Z experience is different than this? Does the OP describe a situation different than this?

I’ve been wondering something similar. I’ve been using Cubase for 17 years and this is the first I’ve heard of it. I’m -definitely- a distracted person, with NO shortage of complaints, so the first thing I thought of when I read this topic was:

Why haven’t I lost my mind about this before? :smiley:

And… why have I -never- heard -any- of the other world-class grousers on this (or any other forum) -ever- mentioned it?

I mean, if it really works like this, I (or surely -someone- else) woulda been absolutely APOPLECTIC with confusion -hundreds- of times, right? Especially with no documentation. Because this feature is (like a lot of Cubase) counter-intuitive to the way other programs work.

But -literally- I’ve never seen ANYONE else mention this before. And I’ve -never- seen this in any product docs or videos. Has anyone else? Ever?

Or is it like various sexual things that… you know… you just learned… “on the street” From “friends”? :smiley:

Just odd. Not necessarily ‘bad’… just -odd-.

Interesting…I’d never come across this before either.

Just tested it quickly and it does seem to work as long as you’re in an editing window (?)

Thus (for example).

1. Open the key editor on an instrument track, carry out an edit of some sort (delete a note perhaps)
  2. Close the editor and move to another track and carry out an edit on it too.
  3. Return to the first track and open the editor once again. Control-Z and the edit on that track will be undone, not the most recent one which was on a different track.

I’m always in the key editor when I realise I’m undoing the wrong thing… maybe it is just the editors.

Actually, if that’s the case I could set a macro to return focus to the project window and then edit-undo and use Ctrl+Z to trigger that and that might bypass the editor localised undo (although might cause other issues!).

dbh